Overtime, PTO

Kcockrum

Jurisdiction
South Carolina
Normal work hours are M-F 8 to 5. We have been put on mandatory minimum of 10 hour days. At the end of today, I will be around 55 hours worked. I received an email a few hours ago that we must mandatory work this weekend a minimum of 8 hours and anyone that does not work will have to use 8 hours of paid time off AND will receive disciplinary action for an unexcused absence. Is this legal? I know we are an at will state, but to already be in OT and get charged PTO and be written up with very little notice of being required to work just seems a bit out there to me.

This is something best addressed by your company human resources department or your union representative if you have a union.

Only one thing sense odd... I don't see why you would get written up for an unexcused absence AND be paid for time off. By taking the PTO it seems your absence is being excused.

This is something to address more locally though, with people familiar with the contracts and common practices of this employer.

It is legal in all 50 states. There is no correlation between whether an absence is paid or unpaid, and whether it is excused or unexcused. It's perfectly possible to have an unexcused, paid absence.

Back