Overseas Marriage Divorce

Status
Not open for further replies.

equinox308

Hi,

I have been married to someone in Vietnam (Vietnamese national) with marriage certificate in Vietnam and I am a US citizen with US passport.

Shortly after the marriage in Vietnam-Over the years my spouse and I had a falling out/separation prior to my beginning the process of sponsoring her to America. We now are not on talking terms and since there have been no marriage documentation done here in the US (no US marriage ceritificate), my question is would it be necessary to officially file for divorce in Vietnam since that is the only place we have a marriage certificate. Would there be any issues for me here in the states if I ever married someone from the US, I just dont want her or her family popping up some years later and try to sue me for money or things like that sort for making money scheme as they are in a poor country and I make good money here in the states so I heard thing of this sort happening. We have no kids together, we just wanted to get married, went to do the marriage in Vietnam, and shortly thereafter had the falling out and never spoke again and I have went on with my life here in the states since. It has been 2 plus years and we have no contact or anything more to do with each other aside from the marriage certificate.

I dont even know her whereabouts,etc.

There was this immigration lawyer here in the states that wanted $1300 for the help with the divorce and he said I wouldnt need to do anything but sign papers and he would have things done on my part here and in Vietnam, however, if it's unnecessary I dont want to give away $1300 just for that. And even then what proof will I have that the lawyer did all the necessary steps and paperwork to officiate the divorce making it valid..as I am not familiar with Vietnam's laws and proceedings for divorce and how international law affects me here in the US

Thanks for your time and help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back