Overnight stays

Hmorri04

Jurisdiction
Georgia
My ex and I have been separated and divorced for over two years now. Our divorce was issued in NC. The children and I just moved to GA and my ex lives in SC. My ex and I have a joint custody arrangement but there is no money exchanged i.e. No child support. I have assumed all fiscal responsibility for the kids. He is threatening to challenge my custody rights if I let my boyfriend ( who I have been dating for a year) have overnight stays. There's no morality clause or anything like that in the decree. He stated that unless we are married, he doesn't want overnight stays to occur based on the immorality of it. Our kids are 13 and 16 respectively.

He might be blowing hot air. Do what's best for you. Tell him if he takes you to court you will counterclaim for child support. Maybe that will shut him up.

Or maybe tell your BF to stay home and not have the hassle.

He doesn't get to dictate to you what he wants. Unless the boyfriend is a drug user or abuser or something that might endanger the kids, I don't see a big concern.

Never blab about your home life.
What goes on in your home is your business, unless crimes are committed, which gets the the government involved.
That said, friends come and go, sons and daughters should remain a part of your life until the end of time.
I bet you're a great mother, and I bet your kids have reason to celebrate YOU not just on Mother's Day, but everyday of their lives.

We have never allowed anyone but our minor children to stay overnight in my home.

Likewise, we have never stayed overnight in the homes of relatives or friends.

That rule remains in effect today.

My wife and I have observed the issues "overnight guests" can foment.

"Guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days." - Benjamin Franklin

My ex and I have been separated and divorced for over two years now. Our divorce was issued in NC. The children and I just moved to GA and my ex lives in SC. My ex and I have a joint custody arrangement but there is no money exchanged i.e. No child support. I have assumed all fiscal responsibility for the kids. He is threatening to challenge my custody rights if I let my boyfriend ( who I have been dating for a year) have overnight stays. There's no morality clause or anything like that in the decree. He stated that unless we are married, he doesn't want overnight stays to occur based on the immorality of it. Our kids are 13 and 16 respectively.

Just ignore him. He doesn't get to control your life. Does he have a girlfriend? Does she stay over when the kids visit him? Either way it doesn't matter but he'd be hypocritical if he has a significant other around the kids when he has them and then tells you not to have a boyfriend stay over.

If there's no morality clause he has no basis to order you to do anything. "Immorality" of it...give me a break. I bet you guys lived together before you got married so he is likely a hypocrite. He just doesn't want you to be happy with someone else.

He can challenge it all he wants - he's going to look like an idiot in court. I agree if he wants to challenge custody you can say you're going to counterclaim for support from him.

Unless there is a lot more to the story, he isn't going to get full custody because of this. You should however, discuss how to present this information to the children and the effect another adult in the home overnight might have on their lives.

Back