Over charging on parts

Timour

Jurisdiction
Michigan
My car is in a repair shop. I noticed that the total price for everything went up. So I asked, "how come?" It went from 763 to 863. They told me to talk to the district manager. I called. He said "it was accidental" and removed the extra 100 charge. Than I forced him to give me a break down on everything he charges me. He wanted to end the conversation fast, but I insisted. He was charging me for some parts $136 per piece. I wrote it down. The next day I called again to find out where they ordered the parts. They told me about the dealership near by. I called the dealership and they said those parts are around 83 per piece and they are not sure why my repair shop is charging me more than that. Now I am sure that the manager of the repair shop is making a fool out of me. I wander if its possible to sue him for over pricing me on parts?

My car is in a repair shop. I noticed that the total price for everything went up. So I asked, "how come?" It went from 763 to 863. They told me to talk to the district manager. I called. He said "it was accidental" and removed the extra 100 charge. Than I forced him to give me a break down on everything he charges me. He wanted to end the conversation fast, but I insisted. He was charging me for some parts $136 per piece. I wrote it down. The next day I called again to find out where they ordered the parts. They told me about the dealership near by. I called the dealership and they said those parts are around 83 per piece and they are not sure why my repair shop is charging me more than that. Now I am sure that the manager of the repair shop is making a fool out of me. I wander if its possible to sue him for over pricing me on parts?

The phrase you are looking for is "mark-up". The shop is allowed to make a profit. You agreed to a certain price ($763) and that's what you need to pay. You won't be successful in a lawsuit based on what you have posted here.

The phrase you are looking for is "mark-up". The shop is allowed to make a profit. You agreed to a certain price ($763) and that's what you need to pay. You won't be successful in a lawsuit based on what you have posted here.
Yeah I thought so too. Thank you.

You could have obtained your own parts and provide them to the shop. It is always cheaper that way. Of course, you would have to know what to order, and that is part of what you are paying the shop for.

I agree with the above. Regardless of the breakdown, you should have received an estimate prior to the work being done and you agreed to it. You could shop around for a better price before authorizing work.

This is not exclusive to the auto shop. The supermarket and every other place that sells you something marks up the price.

Keep in mind they have to pay someone to go get the parts. Plus the fuel, wear and tear on the auto to get these parts. Plus their mark up in profit.

Keep in mind they have to pay someone to go get the parts. Plus the fuel, wear and tear on the auto to get these parts. Plus their mark up in profit.
I think that's too much to be honest. A dealership doesn't charge an extra $100 because they have to go get the parts for me. I called many dealerships and they said they just charge for the original cost, and I asked how much for shipping, and they said that's included in the price. The repair shop is definately making a lot of money off of people that don't have any clue. I don't think it costs $100+ to go get the parts from like 3 miles. No way! They are making fools out of their customers.

I think that's too much to be honest. A dealership doesn't charge an extra $100 because they have to go get the parts for me. I called many dealerships and they said they just charge for the original cost, and I asked how much for shipping, and they said that's included in the price. The repair shop is definately making a lot of money off of people that don't have any clue. I don't think it costs $100+ to go get the parts from like 3 miles. No way! They are making fools out of their customers.

You AGREED to the pricing. You had every opportunity to shop around for a better price.

The dealer has a markup built-in over the price they paid the manufacturer. The indy shop marks them up again. A fair comparison is to call other indy shops and ask what they would charge for the part.

But it doesn't matter now. As has been mentioned, you agreed to the price. What you could have gotten it for is something you should have checked BEFORE you agreed.

Back