Consumer Law, Warranties outragous medical contract - please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

vivh

Hi,

I wanted to get plastic surgery done. I found this website looksforless.com and called them up for a quote. Over the phone they said they would arrange for a consultation with a doctor in my area (Seattle, WA). They asked me how much money I have and then they asked me to put down $500 prior to coming to the consultation. I felt uncomfortable because this was strange and I asked them if I could get a refund if I don't want the doctor. They said they I could get the money back minus $50. Then they gave me the doctor's website. I checked it out and it says the consultation is free....Well any way it was OK. So I went to the consultation and talked to the doctor....I wasn't comfortable with his staff and with his surgery techniques...His receptionist talked outloud about the procedure I was going to do in the receptionist area in front of a whole bunch of people. The doctor wasn't friendly and pushy...asked me to schedule a surgery right away. Then there was someone from looksforless waiting for me there. Over the phone I was quoted $5000. She said it's going to be $6500 because in my case the procedure is tougher. She asked me to put down $1000 initial deposit. Asked me to sign a whole bunch of paper. Anyway....I was so dumb and signed the papers without even reading it. At the same time the doctor's receptionist asked me to pay $200 for the pre-ops procedure. (I'm OK with this charge because it's legitimate...my complaint here is all against looksforless.) Later on I realized it was a mistake because I was overcharged...but the main thing is I don't feel I'm psychologically prepared and can go thru this whole surgery thing, am I a candidate...I don't even know. I was still shopping around for doctors. So I called looksforless and told them I wanted to cancel the surgery and get $1450 back (that is $1500-$50). They said they will not refund me a penny because I have a signed contract...I told them I will dispute the charge with my credit card. The girl talking to me on the phone said go ahread and try, but you won't get your money back, read page 3 in the contract...this is damage cost. I don't think there's any damage done because I didn't get any service, except for the consultation which I'm willing to pay for. I called my credit card company Amex and they said they will suspend the charges and investigate the issue. But if the merchant says no refund and there's nothing they can do. I know it was my mistake to sign the contract without understanding it...but looksforless' business is so unethical. I make doctor appointments and cancel them all the time, what's the big deal. Once I had ortho consultation with several doctors and none of them made any binding contract I couldn't get out like this. Could you please help...Sorry for the long message. Any advice will help. Thanks so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back