Out of state speeding ticket

Ira4

Jurisdiction
Arizona
I got a speeding ticket in a rental car in AZ 9 years ago, which I didn't pay. If I return to AZ and rent a car, will it show up, and will I have to pay the fine?

I got a speeding ticket in a rental car in AZ 9 years ago, which I didn't pay. If I return to AZ and rent a car, will it show up, and will I have to pay the fine?
How in the world would a bunch of strangers on the internet even begin to be able to guess?
It's quite possible that you have some sort of failure to appear on your record and you could end up in jail.

Arizona is a Driver's License Compact state with 45 other states and the DC.

If you are in one of those 45 states your ticket there would be pretty much treated as a ticket in your state. This could lead to arrest, suspension/revocation of your license and jail.

I'm very surprised that your license (in whatever state you are licensed in) hasn't been suspended.

Although maybe it is and you don't know it because of an address issue, etc.

You would not have any trouble renting a car, but if you have contact with law enforcement the unpaid ticket may come up. In many jurisdictions you would just get another ticket with s new court date. They won't haul you off to jail over an unpaid speeding citation. They potentially could, but you would be right back out so fast it is impractical when they can handle it with another citation.

If I return to AZ and rent a car, will it show up, and will I have to pay the fine?

Will it show up where?

It's possibly that the company from whom you rented the car nine years ago will have a record of this and refuse to rent to you, but that company has no ability to make you pay any fines.

Likewise, renting a car is not going to trigger any sort of automatic notification to law enforcement such that you are likely to be arrested just because you rent a car. Of course, if you do anything else to attract the police's attention while in AZ, you're likely to be arrested on the warrant for your arrest that almost certainly exists.

If you rent from some other company, absolutely nothing is likely to happen.

Back