Out-of-state, got tickets in NJ, what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

feichyan

I am in Boston now but my license is from Wisconsin. I drove my girlfriend's car to pick up a friend from Newark Penn Station in NJ, got two summons for 1) Failure to present insurance and 2) Failure to Observe Signals. The insurance card was in the car, but because it was not my car, I didn't find it. But my girlfriend does have valid insurance. For the second violation, I made a right turn and ended up in a BUS-ONLY section, but there was no sign before the turn to indicate that I was entering a prohibited area. I took pictures of that area to prove my case.

My court date is in 7 days, but when I called the court, the clerk told me that my tickets aren't in the court's record yet. I want to at least re-schedule because I will be out of the country till August. I am leaving in 2 weeks, and I am worried that I will be scheduled to appeared in court while I am away, then I will be in even more trouble... Can I ask the court to dismiss my tickets because the cop failed to file it in a timely manner? And if not, should I write to the court to let them know that I will be out of the country and ask them to schedule my case when I come back?

Thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back