Owner Change Other people's property in self storage under my name

simonlee

I helped someone move her property from her foreclosed house to a storage 8 years ago. Since she was not there, I had to sign the contract with the storage. I have asked her to take over the account since her property was moved in, but she always found excuses not to do so. So the account is still under my name as of today. Since she had problems paying the rent from time to time, I got warnings from the storage as my name is still on the account. My credit will get hit if she does not pay the rent, and she apparently knows that. She's not paying the rent again and I got warnings from the storage. I emailed her, demanding she either have the account transferred or vacate the unit. She refused and threaten to sue me for damage. What are my options to end this issue? She is overseas and the only contact I have is her email.

Last edited:
I helped someone move her property from her foreclosed house to a storage 8 years ago. Since she was not there, I had to sign the contract with the storage. I have asked her to take over the account since her property was moved in, but she always found excuses not to do so. So the account is still under my name as of today. Since she had problems paying the rent from time to time, I got warnings from the storage as my name is still on the account. My credit will get hit if she does not pay the rent, and she apparently knows that. She's not paying the rent again and I got warnings from the storage. I emailed her, demanding she either have the account transferred or vacate the unit. She refused and threaten to sue me for damage. What are my options to end this issue? She is overseas and the only contact I have is her email.

You should speak with the rental manager and see if they will work with you.
See if you can make a deal.
You're on the hook for the rent, and the beggar is enjoying the FREE ride.

You might consider a consult with a local attorney. There should be a means through the Civil Code that will allow you to provide her a deadline to take care of her property or you can sell it. It also depends on the dollar value of the property stored there.

You do not have to pay to store her crap forever. But, you should be careful to follow the law prior to disposing of the property.

Step one should be to INVENTORY the property. Describe it in as great of detail as you can, and take pictures! From there you will need to estimate its value. Then you will have to send her proper notice (no, I am not specifically sure what that might be because this is not specifically a landlord-tenant issue, but many of the same sections might also apply). It will take some work on your part, but, you can either put in the legwork and maybe the expense of a consultation and advice from an attorney, or, you can keep on paying in perpetuity.

You might consider a consult with a local attorney. There should be a means through the Civil Code that will allow you to provide her a deadline to take care of her property or you can sell it. It also depends on the dollar value of the property stored there.

You do not have to pay to store her crap forever. But, you should be careful to follow the law prior to disposing of the property.

Step one should be to INVENTORY the property. Describe it in as great of detail as you can, and take pictures! From there you will need to estimate its value. Then you will have to send her proper notice (no, I am not specifically sure what that might be because this is not specifically a landlord-tenant issue, but many of the same sections might also apply). It will take some work on your part, but, you can either put in the legwork and maybe the expense of a consultation and advice from an attorney, or, you can keep on paying in perpetuity.

Thanks!

Can I hand over the property to the police, according to California CIVIL CODE SECTION 2080-2080.10?

Her last US address I know of is the foreclosed house. She seems to have relative/friend in Las Vegas and I have that address, should I send the certified mail to either address as the proof for future court hearing if there is any?

You should speak with the rental manager and see if they will work with you.
See if you can make a deal.
You're on the hook for the rent, and the beggar is enjoying the FREE ride.

I talked to the regional manager and they can do nothing about it. They will still come to me as my name is still on the contract. :(

Thanks!

Can I hand over the property to the police, according to California CIVIL CODE SECTION 2080-2080.10?

Her last US address I know of is the foreclosed house. She seems to have relative/friend in Las Vegas and I have that address, should I send the certified mail to either address as the proof for future court hearing if there is any?

The police are not going to want to have anything to do with this. This is not property you found on the street.

There are other ways to provide legal service of notice including paying for an ad in a newspaper of general circulation in the area where they were last known to have resided. Again, these are the things you might want to get the advice of an attorney on so you can make sure you are not held liable for civil damages when she refuses to claim her property.

Last edited:
The police are not going to want to have anything to do with this. This is not property you found on the street.

There are other ways to provide legal service of notice including paying for an ad in a newspaper of general circulation in the area where they were last known to have resided. Again, these are the things you might want to get the advice of an attorney on so you can make sure you are not held liable for civil damages when she refuses to claim her property.

Thanks, CdwJava!

What if the storage auctions her property after not receiving the payment in time? Will I be liable? I can email her the dates and dues according to the storage's schedule, at the same time. I will also send a certified mail to the her last known address. Will that help in the future court hearings?

Thanks, CdwJava!

What if the storage auctions her property after not receiving the payment in time? Will I be liable? I can email her the dates and dues according to the storage's schedule, at the same time. I will also send a certified mail to the her last known address. Will that help in the future court hearings?

Yes, you may be liable if you intentionally let the storage unit go into default.

I don't want to accidentally mislead you on what the legal requirements are in this particular situation. If you were a landlord, and this were your tenant, the matter is pretty clear. But, since you offered to store her property in a storage unit under your name and custodianship, that's not so clear a delineation. I think you're on the right track, but, if the value of the property in the unit is worth more than you can write a check for, I'd consult an attorney for some real legal advice on the matter.

Back