Oregon Deferral?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottmunster

I just got a speeding ticket for going 48 in a 35 in Portland, OR and my court date is in just under a month.
I know that in Washington State you are able to defer a ticket. Does Oregon have the same option? I was reading over my ticket and didn't see anything about it.
Option 1: Personally Appear at the court at the appearance time indicated to enter a plea but I am given 5 options.
Option 2: Enter a plea of Guilty OR no contest by written appearance
Option 3: Enter a plea of Not Guilty by written appearance.
Option 4: Contact the Court Clerk before the time this summons requires to appear to determine if youqualify for a trail by affidavit
Option 5: For a violation citation for careless driving under personally appear at the court at the appearance time.

I would like to try and make it so that this ticket doesn't get on my record (which will more than likely cause my insurance to go up a fair amount). I'm a Washington state resident and got 2 tickets before I was 18 which resulted in a 3 month suspension of my license. This is my first ticket since. I'm 22 right now. If I remember correctly Washington keeps tickets on your record for 7 years. Will this Oregon ticket stay on my record for 7 years as well?

What is my best course of action? Do I have a shot of not getting this ticket on my record?
Thanks

Go to court at the scheduled time and ask for traffic school. I believe that you can go to traffic school and keep the citation off your record so long as you have not had any violations in the past three years. My numbers may be off a bit, but if the last citation you had was before you were 18, you should qualify. You will still have to pay your fine and also pay for traffic school, but your insurance will never know of the violation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back