Order to Appear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kendall_0966

I was served a order to appear subpoena for unpaid medical bill. My question is... Can I get this settled without having to go to court, If I was to call the lawyer and make a payment arrangement with him would he consider dropping the subpoena?

I was served a order to appear subpoena for unpaid medical bills, Could this be settled without going to court. If I was to call the lawyer and make a payment arrangement could he accept it and drop the order?

You can call the lawyer and ask if they would settle. Have a number set before you call. They should settle if you are reasonable.

Write back if the lawyer is being hard headed.

I really don't know what would be a fair amount I believe that the bill is for about $4,000.00, I really could only pay about $50.00 a month. Once a subpoena is filed can the lawyer dismiss it. The lawyer would have to make a 3 hour drive just to come to court. I really have no idea what to even say to the lawyer about a agreement.

The one making the complaint can stop the case at anytime. The courts prefer that it be settled and not waste court time.

I would make an offer, the worst that will happen is they say no.

the only thing that worries me is if they do say no, they want me to bring in all titles to vehicles, deeds, bank statements, check books, land contracts, savings books, mortgages, income tax returns, and anything else relating to my property and business affairs, and also testify to all my assets. Will they put leins on things or force me to sell things. I would thing knowing that the lawyer has to travel 3 hours just to get here, he would want to settle. I will have to call first thing tomorrow morning. I tried today but the lawyer was in court.

The lawyer himself wouldn't talk to me his assistant said he would only talk to me in court. So making a payment arrangement didn't happen, they said the only way it would be dropped is if I paid the amount in full. So I guess its to court we go.

The lawyer himself wouldn't talk to me his assistant said he would only talk to me in court. So making a payment arrangement didn't happen, they said the only way it would be dropped is if I paid the amount in full. So I guess its to court we go.

I don't know what the shyster is up to. The court will more than likely order some sort of "settlement meeting" anyway.

If you see the lawyer in the court house before the hearing, try again. I would mention it to the judge as well. He has a duty to take an offer to the client.

I guess get your stuff ready for the subpoena. What is the crack pipe lovin lawyer thinking? Even if they prevail in court, the court will set up payments! God, it's abuse of process.

Be sure to mention it to the judge on record, it may be helful in the future.

Yes, they can file liens. They can only lien for the amount, they can't slap a lien on evertything. They may move the court for attachment to property or account. This is normally done when they file a complaint. I guess the lawyer want's to drag it out as long as he can.

The lawyer is shooting for a big bill on his part, as he isn't going to make any money off of the original debt as it is so small. He/she is simply using to the court system for financial gain.

I'll look and see what forms I have on this, will post an example if I can find anything.

It sounds like you ignored the original summons and complaint and a judgment has been entered against you. Now they are holding a "show cause" hearing to find out what assets you have that they can attach.

If you were not served originally you can file a motion to set aside the judgment. All that will do is delay the situation but it may make them listen to a settlement.

Well surprise, surprise, surprise, the lawyer called me and agreed to make payment arrangements. Which is good cause like I said he would have to travel 3 hours and in nasty weather (upper peninsula of Michigan). So the case was dropped. Thanks everyone for their input.

Well surprise, surprise, surprise, the lawyer called me and agreed to make payment arrangements. Which is good cause like I said he would have to travel 3 hours and in nasty weather (upper peninsula of Michigan). So the case was dropped. Thanks everyone for their input.

Cool. Perhaps your phone call triggered it? LOL, good job. Nice to know a little effort changed things, better than going into court!

Glad it worked out for you. :cheer:

No Show?

My mother has filed for divorce after 35 years of marriage. Dad is out for revenge and wants me to testify on his behalf. I say no way. He says I will subpoena anyone I need. The case is in Arkansas but I live in another state. What can they do to me if I don't show up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back