Order of Protection Violation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kittysmerow

My ex-mother-in-law (MIL) and I had a conflict at the end of january of this year. I had not been arrested and the charges were dismissed. I have six months of probation and there was suppost to be a non-offensive order of protection. The court that we had gone through had messed the paper-work up and made it a no-contact order. This was in the beginning of May... my MIL had contacted ME and told ME that it was fine I contacted her as long as it had to do with my son until all of this had been taken care of. My lawyer had sent a letter to the court on May 9th, just a few days after the court mess-up, and it hadn't been fixed yet.

Last thursday my ex-husband and I were going through our storage unit with a friend and was getting several calls from his mother, sister, and father wondering where we were. That we were late for dinner and birthday cake, we said we'd be a few minutes. We got to her house (where my ex-husband lives also) and my ex had taken my son upstairs while we emptied out the things from my friend's van and my car... My ex-husband had come down and told me that my MIL wanted me to leave, I told him not without my son, she called the police and I was arrested for breaking an order of protection.

Where is the loop-hole in this where I don't have to spend the next 90 days to a year in jail for a A misdemenor? I was released without bail and my first court date is tommarow night. I am SCARED. I don't want to go to jail because I was late for birthday cake and the court messed up on paperwork, and because my MIL just wanted to "scare" me (she told the cops that), and my lawyer is lazy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back