Online Purchase Conundrum

K

koopatroopa

Jurisdiction
Other
I have been in an interesting situation with an online retailer over the past few days and was wondering if I have any legal remedy. On March 5, 2016 I purchased an athletic jersey from an online store of a company. Everything went smoothly, I went through the order process, put in my shipping and billing information, and finally received a receipt of purchase via email. I went back out on the website the next day to show a friend what I had bought and the jersey was no longer listed on the website; it is an old jersey from the 2013-2014 season of the team so I assumed I had purchased the last one in stock and they took the listing off the website. Then a few days later on March 8, 2016 I had not received any notice of shipment from the retailer, so I checked my bank account and saw that the money for the jersey had been withdrawn from my account. I returned to the online store the next day on March 9, 2016 to find the jersey had been re-listed for sale on the website at a $30 price increase. At this point I'm starting to get concerned. I have never dealt with a company that took more than 4 days to give notice of shipment after receiving payment. I go back out to check my bank account and the money withdraw is no longer there. I have yet to successfully get in contact with the company but I have a feeling they are going to try and pull a fast one on me and refuse to honor the purchase. I bought the jersey for $50, and it was reposted after at $80. I clearly did not think the price I bought the jersey at was a mistake and frankly, $50 is a fair market value for a jersey that is three seasons old. Other jerseys from that 2013/14 season remain at a $50 price value on the website so I think it would be a very weak argument to say it was obvious the jersey should have been $30 more expensive, when that is an over-market price. I also went back through the checkout process as a simulation and realized that there was not any "terms of use" or "terms of agreement" box to check. Thus, unless I agree to some terms just by entering their website, I did not expressly agree to the waiving or alteration of any contract laws. Now the tough part, the company is based in Denmark. I am a United States buyer. How would I even begin to figure out what jurisdiction this falls under, if I even have merit to my situation in the first place. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Now the tough part, the company is based in Denmark. I am a United States buyer. How would I even begin to figure out what jurisdiction this falls under, if I even have merit to my situation in the first place.

Your transaction was reversed so you're not out any money. Good luck trying to get this resolved with a company in Denmark.

You can huff and puff all you want but the horse is dead. Don't try to kick it. Forget about it and get over it.

Next time you buy from an online company make sure you know where they are located and look for reviews and feedback from other buyers.

Meantime, if you still want a jersey, there's a s--tload of them on ebay at reasonable prices where sellers rely on positive feedback to stay in business and you can read the feedback before you buy.

jersey in Sports Memorabilia Fan Apparel and Souvenirs | eBay

Move on with life. You have your money back with zero effort on your part. Be glad you don't have to deal with initiating a credit card dispute or worse, if you used a debit card, waiting for the funds to be returned to you.

Back