online personal information

Samuel_Ans

Jurisdiction
Virginia
Good Morning
I seem to have online information some of which are hosted by organizations outside of my State. I have contacted some and asked them to remove my information. But not everything is removed. What are my legal rights if I am willing to spend the time and money to remove this information please? And how would I go about doing this please?
Just one example is a site that checked my employment history for an employer. They told me some of the information I provided on my resume was not accurate, but they were wrong and I called again and provided the information. But this organization is extremely disorganized and confused, the staff do not know what they are doing and it takes for ever to resolve minor issues. I rather just ask them to remove my content. What is the best, quickest, and most effective way for me to remove any and all the online content I have please? I ask because I see not everyone has the presence online that I do.

Well I do not know that in many instances. I only see a number of links when I google my name. The one example I shared however got my information from the company that extended an offer to me. Here are a couple:
xlek
intelius
HireRight

The unfortunate reality of the internet is that your information (correct or not) is imbedded so deep within cyberspace and in so many places that you aren't going to get it removed from everywhere even if you are willing to spend a million dollars.

Do the best you can but your "rights" isn't the issue because you really don't have any. Once the information is out there it's for keeps.

This really depends on who has the information online, what it is and how they got it.[/QUOTE
The unfortunate reality of the internet is that your information (correct or not) is imbedded so deep within cyberspace and in so many places that you aren't going to get it removed from everywhere even if you are willing to spend a million dollars.

Do the best you can but your "rights" isn't the issue because you really don't have any. Once the information is out there it's for keeps.
Thank you so much for the reply.

I seem to have online information some of which are hosted by organizations outside of my State.

What sort of information, and how did these organizations come to have the information?

I have contacted some and asked them to remove my information.

Remove your information from what?

What are my legal rights if I am willing to spend the time and money to remove this information please? And how would I go about doing this please?

You're going to have to better explain what you're talking about for anyone to be able to offer you much of a response. The example you provided doesn't make it clear what the issue is.

Well I do not know that in many instances. I only see a number of links when I google my name. The one example I shared however got my information from the company that extended an offer to me. Here are a couple:
xlek
intelius
HireRight

So you got Google hits from these sites when you Googled your name?

HireRight doesn't have any of the data they store public-facing. There may be an employee there that has the same as you.

Intellius had an opt-out page https://www.intelius.com/optout though it may not do much if what they have are from public records.

Xlek is public data and may not offer any sort of opt-out.

What sort of information, and how did these organizations come to have the information?

Remove your information from what?

You're going to have to better explain what you're talking about for anyone to be able to offer you much of a response. The example you provided doesn't make it clear what the issue is.
Ok. I'll respond with more details. I greatly appreciate you and other's responses.

Back