Online Orders Addressed to the Previous House Owner - Right to Dispose?

Jack_W

Jurisdiction
Colorado
We bought our house ~7+ years ago. In July this year, we received several packages from one of TV shops. The address was ours, but the recipient is the previous house owner. I called the TV shop customer service and explained the situation. An agent confirmed that the order was placed and paid by the previous house owner. She could not contact him, as his phone number in their database is not in service. I don't know his contact details either. The shipping company doesn't want to take them back; TV shop has never called me back with directions. I cannot even send a demand letter in writing as the TV shop doesn't publish their mailing address or even email.
I am tired of storing those boxes in my house considering their size (one is as big as a fridge).
Is there a time frame after I can trash them without legal consequences?

Thank you,
Jack

We bought our house ~7+ years ago. In July this year, we received several packages from one of TV shops. The address was ours, but the recipient is the previous house owner. I called the TV shop customer service and explained the situation. An agent confirmed that the order was placed and paid by the previous house owner. She could not contact him, as his phone number in their database is not in service. I don't know his contact details either. The shipping company doesn't want to take them back; TV shop has never called me back with directions. I cannot even send a demand letter in writing as the TV shop doesn't publish their mailing address or even email.
I am tired of storing those boxes in my house considering their size (one is as big as a fridge).

Thank you,
Jack
Call and get the corporate address from customer service.

It seems to me that the former owner of the house is the owner of the items, not the shop that shipped them. You may need to track him down, or at least follow your state's law on abandoned property.

EDIT: Why did you allow these items to be delivered and placed in your house?

More than likely they were dropped off and left in front of the house before the homeowner even knew they were there.

the recipient is the previous house owner.

Try this. Go on to your county recorder's website and look for the closing documents that were recorded when you bought the house. There is often a forwarding address for the seller for any paperwork that needs to be sent to him after close of escrow. Your own copy of the closing documents might also have it.

Could save you a lot of hassle by letting him know that the stuff got delivered, especially since he has already paid for it.

It seems to me that the former owner of the house is the owner of the items, not the shop that shipped them. You may need to track him down, or at least follow your state's law on abandoned property.

Hmm... I don't think I follow... Why do you think all the burden (time, cost) "tracking down the owner" etc. should be on me, while this is him who should be interested picking up his goods. He can easily check when address his internet order was delivered. He didn't do that in past 2 months. Remember, he left this place way over 7 years ago (and I only recognized his last name because it was quite characteristic).

Answering your other question - in my area (even before pandemic time), shipping companies leave packages in front of the building - not even ringing a door bell.

Hmm... I don't think I follow... Why do you think all the burden (time, cost) "tracking down the owner" etc. should be on me, while this is him who should be interested picking up his goods. He can easily check when address his internet order was delivered. He didn't do that in past 2 months. Remember, he left this place way over 7 years ago (and I only recognized his last name because it was quite characteristic).
That's the way the law works. If you want it changed, contact your legislators.

Answering your other question - in my area (even before pandemic time), shipping companies leave packages in front of the building - not even ringing a door bell.
A box the size of a fridge is just left outside? That's odd, but ok. That's an answer for half of my question, but why did you move the items into your house?

A box the size of a fridge is just left outside? That's odd, but ok. That's an answer for half of my question, but why did you move the items into your house?

Technically to a garage. To secure from rain? To unblock the porch? I was hoping that the situation will be resolved in a few days.

Perhaps the owner of the goods is ill. Adjusterjacks advice is very good.

name of
Why do you think all the burden (time, cost) "tracking down the owner" etc. should be on me, while this is him who should be interested picking up his goods.

You have no legal duty to see that the recipient of the items gets them.

It might be said by SOME, that you have a "moral obligation" to ensure that the intended recipient gets the "goods".

You have a very easy option to resolve your dilemma.

Call your local law enforcement agency's NON-EMERGENCY phone line (sheriff, police, public safety, marshal, etc...).

Advise the official on the other end that you have found (or acquired by error of the shipping agency) some "valuable" property.

Ask for an officer (a deputy marshal or deputy sheriff) to be dispatched to your residence to take possession of the property for "safekeeping" or proper disposal.

The law enforcement official will respond to take possession of the "found"/"abandoned" property.

You could even volunteer to transport it to the proper location, should the first responder wish.
(I doubt that he/she could remove the "larger" items).

You'll receive a receipt indicating the date, items, and the name of the official who took possession of the property.

It costs you nothing, but you'll receive that warm, glowing feeling we all incur for doing a "good" deed.

Why do you think all the burden (time, cost) "tracking down the owner" etc. should be on me

Here's the statute:

https://leg.colorado.gov/sites/default/files/2019a_088_signed.pdf

Besides, what burden? You said his name was "quite charactistic." How much time do you think it will take you for an online search? How much will it cost you to send him a letter?

You've already had your garage cluttered for two months. Would another half hour kill you?

Only if you give proper notice to the intended recipient. You should have contact info for the prior resident on the paperwork from when you bought the house.

Why do you think all the burden (time, cost) "tracking down the owner" etc. should be on me

I don't think "Zigner" expressed such an opinion, but the reality is that the items are in your house and you want to get rid of them. That's not going to happen by magic, so some effort on your part will be needed. At a minimum, you can put them in your trash to be picked up, but that will expose you to potential for liability. How likely? Probably not very, so you can decide whether or not to take the risk. Or, since you should have the prior owner's contact info (and, if the name is uncommon, you may be able to get a current address by googling), you can go to slightly more effort to try and get this person's attention.

Any idea what's in the boxes?

Back