Harassment, Stalking, Misconduct Online Harassment ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjm5711

I was recently involved with Sports forum in the same exact format as this. I was recently angered and kicked off the site for use of profanity. Another former member continued to post threads under a fake user name making derogatory statements about me. In retaliation, I signed up under fake user names(some with F---- this individual) as the title, and proceeded to post threads of this nature. I even posted a couple of threads saying "F---- this forum." My threads would be deleted within 5-10 minutes by the moderators. I posted 20 threads(all deleted quickly) within 3 days. The other day I get an e-mail from the Forum's owner telling me they will likely "turn my posts over to the authorities. I made no posts threatening anyone. Just simply F--- individual, and F---- this forum, f--- forum members. I am in Florida, the forum is based in California.

Am I looking at any possible criminal charges ?

Probably not.
I'm unaware of any charges that could emanate from what you described.
But, you never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A couple attorneys told me I was protected under the First Amendment. As long as I didn't threaten anyone(which I did not).

A couple attorneys told me I was protected under the First Amendment. As long as I didn't threaten anyone(which I did not).

I don't know why those attorneys told you that.

Maybe they went to a law school in China? :dunno:

But, I went to a US based law school.

We all possess first amendment rights.

However, no person or private enterprise is required to give another person first amendment rights.

In other words, the "freedom of speech" that you mention is a duty the government owes everyone in this country.

It is a right our government owes its citizens (or any person) in our country.

That duty our federal government owes us, isn't owed to each other individually! :no:

All of that said, I don't think you have any criminal liability to worry about. :yes:

Last edited:
Under the law

Perhaps they meant you're protected from prosecution(which is done by the government). Of course no private entity has to allow free sppech, but in order to bring about prosecution, it must be dome through the government.

Perhaps they meant you're protected from prosecution(which is done by the government). Of course no private entity has to allow free sppech, but in order to bring about prosecution, it must be dome through the government.

Duh????

Yeah, you can't "prosecute" your neighbor because he stole your lawnmower.

I never try to understand the illogical or irrational.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I am far from a law professional. So, the bottom line is you think I'm in the clear. I sort of figured that, but go spooked when I read about that new federal law that was passed in 2006 making it illegal to "annoy"(whatever "annoy" is defined as) anyone on internet under fake identity. i think it was mainly intended for spammers though.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I am far from a law professional. So, the bottom line is you think I'm in the clear. I sort of figured that, but go spooked when I read about that new federal law that was passed in 2006 making it illegal to "annoy"(whatever "annoy" is defined as) anyone on internet under fake identity. i think it was mainly intended for spammers though.

Yes, that could be a problem for you.

It all depends on what they say you did.

If you stay quiet and get off their case, this probably goes away.

But, you just never know what a US Attorney might do.

Some can be very aggressive, if they're not real busy.

I think you'll be okay, but I'm not the one that would have to make the decision.

You'll just have to lay dead and wait.

Do you really think a US attorney would waste his time with this ?

Okay, you don't need to respond to this message.

I don't know what a US Attorney would do.

When I was an Assistant US Attorney, I wouldn't.

But, I saw some of my peers charge for things much minor than this with great glee.

A female colleague told me one day, "I like to make them sweat. The power we have is better than sex."

So, you can see, there are crazy people in every profession.

The next time you are about to emabark on stupid, senseless prank; stop and think.

Dude, even if you don't get charged, is this worry worth it?

That said, I don't think you'll hear any more about this.

Just leave them and their site alone.

I don't think you have a problem. If I go on a forum and say "F--K you" that's just me stating my dislike for you. But I have in no way threatened you. So you have no fear of bodily harm or online retaliation, etc. If however you said something like "I'm going to F--K you up" or in any way stated that you would actually take some action, then you could have a problem.

You best bet at this point is to just let it go. The forum owner may think that you have broken the law when in fact you have not (yet - if all is as you have stated). But if you continue then it could turn in to harassment if you continue since they have officially asked you to stop posting (however that was worded to you.) You've been asked to go away, so I would do just that.

Other's on the forum are probably going to bad mouth you to some degree (I'm glad he's gone, etc) but you going on and posting a response that is just going to get deleted in short order really does nothing more than stur up the hornets nest. Just let it go.

No Threats

Mo threats of any kind were made. i have since apologized and not made a post since Sat. I offered to make amends by writing an apology letter, but the owner declined. I asked him what his intentions were since I agreed to leave his forum alone. he has replied,"We have someone looking into it, and will let you know when we determine what is appropriate." I think he's just trying to scare me, and make me stew.

There are actions that can be taken depending on the nature of the posts. I doubt they are going to waste their time seeking civil action against you since you have left the forum, and I doubt that any serious criminal offense could be applied or WOULD be applied from across the country.

Forget about that forum, move on, mature, and learn from the experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back