One roommate wants in, the other out

J

JM26

Jurisdiction
California
I signed a lease 4 months ago with a boyfriend and need out.

While it is not physical, I do believe I am in a domestic violence situation. I have evidence of my boyfriend threatening to destroy my property solely because he was mad at me. This does not make for an easy living environment, especially because I travel for work. I also have had issues with said partner in the past and stupidly opted against getting a RO. A simple glance at our text history would show that this living situation is not okay and I would be happy to surrender that if I had to. Even recently we had a noise complaint because of the arguing.

I've asked my complex what my options are and all I've gotten is "both parties sign a roommate removal form or get a mediator"

Problem is, my partner is not willing to sign me off, despite my asking numerous times.

I'm afraid to get a mediator because of the backlash I may receive. I also don't have the financial resources to go to court(s).

I don't want money, I don't want to cause suffering to anyone, I just want out of this living situation.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you for reading.

I signed a lease 4 months ago with a boyfriend and need out.

While it is not physical, I do believe I am in a domestic violence situation. I have evidence of my boyfriend threatening to destroy my property solely because he was mad at me. This does not make for an easy living environment, especially because I travel for work. I also have had issues with said partner in the past and stupidly opted against getting a RO. A simple glance at our text history would show that this living situation is not okay and I would be happy to surrender that if I had to. Even recently we had a noise complaint because of the arguing.

I've asked my complex what my options are and all I've gotten is "both parties sign a roommate removal form or get a mediator"

Problem is, my partner is not willing to sign me off, despite my asking numerous times.

I'm afraid to get a mediator because of the backlash I may receive. I also don't have the financial resources to go to court(s).

I don't want money, I don't want to cause suffering to anyone, I just want out of this living situation.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you for reading.

Ask your LL if its possible to buy your way out of your lease.
If the answer is NO, your only other option is to call the police the next time he explodes.

If you do that, it's possible to obtain an emergency order of protection because of domestic violence.

If you're not going to obtain a restraining order if one was actually warranted then you shouldn't expect that somehow someone else will bail you out of the situation. The restraining order is your remedy, if it's appropriate.

A mediator merely mediates a result, if one is possible. It certainly doesn't seem that it is possible. These roommate breakup situations are difficult to remedy. Perhaps you can speak to him about whether he'd be willing to move out or you could and be replaced by another roommate. I don't know if the apartment is a two bedroom or just one, which might make that difficult. As both of you are on the lease, I don't know that there is an easy way out of it. I agree about the buyout being a potential solution but it's up to the landlord. Good luck.

Back