Arrest, Search, Seizure, Warrant On a Minor

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
Back in 2008 an ex-prosecutor Bruce Kaplan of Middlesex County had my son arrested, seen before the court and thrown out of the Highland Park High School system on the same day they arrested him from my home. When I questioned what happened, the Highland Park Police Department stated that the charges brought upon my son was simply an abuse of power by Middlesex County prosecutor Bruce Kaplan.

These charges were based on his daughters input that my son called her friend a "Deep Throater," What Mr. Kaplan failed to understand that my son was being bullied for several years in the Highland Park school system. They will point out his negative behavior and not focus on the fact that he was also an honor roll student as well. This incident caused us a financial and emotional strain as I was operating as a single parent to provide for my three children.

My son still suffers from the incident to this day. When talking to him he always go back to the day all of that ruined his life. He had to be immediately transferred to the New Brunswick Alternate School where he was also bullied and tried to overcome being traumatized by what took place in toward his last year of high school. During that time I had to hire a lawyer and remove the case from Middlesex County since Mr. Kaplan was well known to the county. The lawyer had the case sent to Freehold, New Jersey where the case against my son was dismissed and thrown out because the judge thought it was ridiculous and also witnessed this was an abuse of power.

Now Mr. Kaplan sits as an appointed superior court judge and I feel like he owes my family who was traumatized by this matter which also led to his young adult criminal lifestyle due to him suffering from anger and discrimination against a man who used his power to intimidate my son. Back then I was unaware of how to pursue this case against Mr. Kaplan and now that I am able to get legal advise, I would like to know the next steps to signing a complaint against him for the abuse of power, emotional and financial strain he caused and him simply going off hear say from his daughter friend who failed to admit she was calling my son fagget. She was advised from her father Bruce Kaplan of how to go about signing a complaint against my son, but instead he took the liberty of using his power to destroy a young African American/Hispanic boy who was trying to get out of high school and further his education in college.

I feel Mr. Kaplan owes our family immensely. Please tell me what steps should I take to pursue this matter in spite of my lack of knowledge to fight him on this matter and the amount of years it took place? Thank you

Back in 2008 an ex-prosecutor Bruce Kaplan of Middlesex County had my son arrested, seen before the court and thrown out of the Highland Park High School system on the same day they arrested him from my home. When I questioned what happened, the Highland Park Police Department stated that the charges brought upon my son was simply an abuse of power by Middlesex County prosecutor Bruce Kaplan.

These charges were based on his daughters input that my son called her friend a "Deep Throater," What Mr. Kaplan failed to understand that my son was being bullied for several years in the Highland Park school system. They will point out his negative behavior and not focus on the fact that he was also an honor roll student as well. This incident caused us a financial and emotional strain as I was operating as a single parent to provide for my three children.

My son still suffers from the incident to this day. When talking to him he always go back to the day all of that ruined his life. He had to be immediately transferred to the New Brunswick Alternate School where he was also bullied and tried to overcome being traumatized by what took place in toward his last year of high school. During that time I had to hire a lawyer and remove the case from Middlesex County since Mr. Kaplan was well known to the county. The lawyer had the case sent to Freehold, New Jersey where the case against my son was dismissed and thrown out because the judge thought it was ridiculous and also witnessed this was an abuse of power.

Now Mr. Kaplan sits as an appointed superior court judge and I feel like he owes my family who was traumatized by this matter which also led to his young adult criminal lifestyle due to him suffering from anger and discrimination against a man who used his power to intimidate my son. Back then I was unaware of how to pursue this case against Mr. Kaplan and now that I am able to get legal advise, I would like to know the next steps to signing a complaint against him for the abuse of power, emotional and financial strain he caused and him simply going off hear say from his daughter friend who failed to admit she was calling my son fagget. She was advised from her father Bruce Kaplan of how to go about signing a complaint against my son, but instead he took the liberty of using his power to destroy a young African American/Hispanic boy who was trying to get out of high school and further his education in college.

I feel Mr. Kaplan owes our family immensely. Please tell me what steps should I take to pursue this matter in spite of my lack of knowledge to fight him on this matter and the amount of years it took place? Thank you

Your son was arrested for making a vulgar comment? What was the statute he was being charged with?

If you are contemplating taking legal action against a member of the NJ legal community, you should get initial consults with (at least 3) NJ lawyers.

This is not a DIY job; you need to retain a NJ lawyer.

If you are contemplating taking legal action against a member of the NJ legal community, you should get initial consults with (at least 3) NJ lawyers.

This is not a DIY job; you need to retain a NJ lawyer.
I truly doubt that OP will be able to sue...This happened 11 years ago and the SOL has expired. I'm just very curious about what her son was charged with...Because I have never heard of someone getting arrested for making rude, vulgar comments to a school mate.

Please tell me what steps should I take to pursue this matter in spite of my lack of knowledge to fight him on this matter and the amount of years it took place?

Even if there were something to pursue, it would be pursued by your son, not you, and the incident you described occurred over a decade ago, so any relevant statute of limitations has long since expired. Time for your son to grow up and move on.

I truly doubt that OP will be able to sue...This happened 11 years ago and the SOL has expired. I'm just very curious about what her son was charged with...Because I have never heard of someone getting arrested for making rude, vulgar comments to a school mate.

Ms. Blount-Torres wants a sitting judge to "pay" for the "damage" perpetrated on her then-minor son over a decade ago. She needs someone knowledgeable about NJ law to patiently sit down with her, calmly go over the facts of what happened, and explain to her how NJ law works. The amount of time and patience needed should be compensated.

Even if there were something to pursue, it would be pursued by your son, not you, and the incident you described occurred over a decade ago, so any relevant statute of limitations has long since expired. Time for your son to grow up and move on.

This is what I am going to look into because there are several cases that are older than mine that are now being brought to multiple courts and people are getting help. I think it would be unfair to me and my son. It didn't just affect my son, I lost a lot behind this so it would be the two of us and he is in agreement with me pursuing this matter. We didn't have the knowledge, funds or means to pursue this matter for years so now I am seeking help with this matter. I thought by joining this site I would be able to get a lawyer who can assist me.

Ms. Blount-Torres wants a sitting judge to "pay" for the "damage" perpetrated on her then-minor son over a decade ago. She needs someone knowledgeable about NJ law to patiently sit down with her, calmly go over the facts of what happened, and explain to her how NJ law works. The amount of time and patience needed should be compensated.
You are absolutely correct with your statement.

This is what I am going to look into because there are several cases that are older than mine that are now being brought to multiple courts and people are getting help. I think it would be unfair to me and my son. It didn't just affect my son, I lost a lot behind this so it would be the two of us and he is in agreement with me pursuing this matter. We didn't have the knowledge, funds or means to pursue this matter for years so now I am seeking help with this matter. I thought by joining this site I would be able to get a lawyer who can assist me.

Would you move on if it happened to your son? Have you ever experienced a matter like this? Or could you be one who feels entitled or a family member/friend would make sure this doesn't happen to you. I can only imagine why you made your statement. It's clear in black and white!

I agree I definitely will need a trained lawyer

This is what I am going to look into because there are several cases that are older than mine that are now being brought to multiple courts and people are getting help.

What cases?

It didn't just affect my son, I lost a lot behind this so it would be the two of us and he is in agreement with me pursuing this matter.

That's fine, but he's the only one with legal standing, so he's the only one who can pursue anything.

I thought by joining this site I would be able to get a lawyer who can assist me.

Nope.

Would you move on if it happened to your son? Have you ever experienced a matter like this?

These are utterly irrelevant questions because my personal experiences have nothing to do with your situation and the relevant laws. That said, I can assure you that I've moved on from a lot of things in my life.

Would you move on if it happened to your son? Have you ever experienced a matter like this? Or could you be one who feels entitled or a family member/friend would make sure this doesn't happen to you. I can only imagine why you made your statement. It's clear in black and white!
1. Yes, I would move on. The alternative is to wallow in a self-destructive behavior pattern that ruins ones live. Like you and your son have apparently done.
2. No. My children take personal responsibility for their actions and don't go on crime sprees because the are pissed off at someone.
3. Not entitled at all. I am the one to make sure that things like this never happen to me. It's called personal responsibility.
4. What is very clear is that you and your son are using an arrest from 11 years ago to blame for your poor life choices after said arrest. It seems you are fueling your son's anger and vengeance.

I recommend seeing a good therapist...for both you and sonny.

1. Yes, I would move on. The alternative is to wallow in a self-destructive behavior pattern that ruins ones live. Like you and your son have apparently done.
2. No. My children take personal responsibility for their actions and don't go on crime sprees because the are pissed off at someone.
3. Not entitled at all. I am the one to make sure that things like this never happen to me. It's called personal responsibility.
4. What is very clear is that you and your son are using an arrest from 11 years ago to blame for your poor life choices after said arrest. It seems you are fueling your son's anger and vengeance.

I recommend seeing a good therapist...for both you and sonny.

I totally disagree with you. So no there's no way that you may fit in my category because you may be of a different race like him. But live a little longer and I guarantee you, your children will run across something in their lives where you will seek to expose those who have done wrong to you and them. Be careful judging, it may come back on you BIG TIME!

I totally disagree with you. So no there's no way that you may fit in my category because you may be of a different race like him. But live a little longer and I guarantee you, your children will run across something in their lives where you will seek to expose those who have done wrong to you and them. Be careful judging, it may come back on you BIG TIME!
Huh?

I totally disagree with you.

You voluntarily came to this site.
You chose to ask questions seeking responses.
What is there to disagree with, argue about, or even debate?
Nothing in my view.
If you dislike a response, IGNORE it.
No one here cares whether you heed, dismiss, or ignore their response.
Everyone that responds does so voluntarily as a volunteer.
People that respond are here because they care about others and choose to try to offer help.
I pray you get the answers you desire and that your life becomes all that you desire it to be.

What does race have to do with anything? And what do youi mean by "category"?
Your son made the CHOICE to go on a crime spree because he was pissed off at the Judge. He brilliantly messed up his own life in the process. That is on him.

As for "living a little longer"? I have been on this earth for 54 years. My girls have done quite well for them selves through hard work and determination. Nothing was handed to them. Oldest put herself through University and graduated Summa. Youngest is looking at a full ride to Yale. They worked hard to make their lives better.

Your son may have dealt with his anger in a less self-destructive way had you got him therapy to deal with his anger, rather than excuse his behavior and blame others for what he was doing.

The Judge may have been wrong in his actions ELEVEN YEARS AGO, but what has happened since then is not his fault.

Again...Get some psychological help for you and your son.

BTW Karen, You have been advised to edit your opening post and remove identifying information. You have not done so. The legal consequences for what you have posted will be on you.

Back