Old tax bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

kandyland2001

I have a question that I desperately need answered. I closed on a house in September (nearly October) 2007. In our purchase agreement the seller was to pay taxes on the property for up to the day prior to closing. There was a huge tax debate that caused the tax assessment in the state to be reassessed. The reconcilliation bills were sent out about a month ago- as it stands I was forced to pay the entire 2006 (before I lived there) tax bill, increasing my mortgage $30/month.
The title lawyers initial claim was that there was only an assessment but no bill in 2007- that's a lie. I know everyone received bills and checked with the Assessors office to confirm. The seller only paid the 2006 bill (2005 taxes) in 2007- $600 of $1800 that was due.
Should it have been the title lawyers' responsibility to have the seller pay the original 2007 bill- (our agreement states that seller will pay prorated portion of current bill UNLESS an assessment has not been completed, then they may pay prior year's bill)? Since they did not do this- what options do I have in reconcilling this huge mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back