Old Debt

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEBBIE_L_H

I was recently contacted by an collection co. on a utility debt which was put in my name under my SS# back in 1995 in Gettysburg, PA. I have not lived in Gettysburg, PA. for 10 years now. I think that someone used my SS# in order to get their utilities. This may have been done by an ex-husband who does live at that address. I would like to no if there is a statue of limitation on a 9 year old utility bill and what can I do in order to stop future use of my SS#.
Thank you,

Originally posted by DEBBIE L H
I was recently contacted by an collection co. on a utility debt which was put in my name under my SS# back in 1995 in Gettysburg, PA. I have not lived in Gettysburg, PA. for 10 years now. I think that someone used my SS# in order to get their utilities. This may have been done by an ex-husband who does live at that address. I would like to no if there is a statue of limitation on a 9 year old utility bill and what can I do in order to stop future use of my SS#.
Thank you,

Got the same thing from 1995... I'm sure the same company as well... as it was from the same area... and your post leads me to believe that we got it during the same week.

Contact the PUC 1-800-782-1110... I contacted them, they told me that 4 years was the statute of limitations of utility bill debt, and to call the initial company, let them know of the situation... then call the law firm representing the the collection company and do the same. They told me that if I got no satisfaction going that route, that I should file a complaint with the PUC.

I called that law firm, which I'm sure is the same as the one that you are citing, and let them know the score... they were too happy to say, "Well, we'll take that off of our records and get this straightened out"... I also asked for a written confirmation of this being struck from their collectable accounts...

Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back