Old Apartment trying to collect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkrause123

Hey All,

On December 7th, 2006 I signed a notice saying that we were moving out. On January 8th, 2007 we packed up and moved to a new apartment. This was the last we heard from the apartment till recently.

On April 24th, 2007 my parents (the co-signers) received a phone call from a collection agency demanding that they pay $1400 for "damages. late fees, utility bills, and termination fees(not giving 30 days notice) by Monday or they would damage there credit. They did not even have my phone number to contact me even when we gave them a forwarding address twice, our old mailbox is STILL forwarding mail to us, and our new apartment management faxed them information to fill out so they could approve us for the apartment.

The problem I see here is that

a) We were not contacted by certified mail (or any mailing) within 30 days of moving out, nor were the cosigners. Not even a phone call.

b) I have written proof that at least SOME of the claim is bogus. I am not saying that I might have damages to the apartment when we left, but what can i do about them not giving notice fees where i still have copies of notice we gave them that was signed IN THE OFFICE, or LATE charges on utilities that were charged to us AFTER we moved out and weren't notified about.

c) What should i do about the collection agency for now until this is straightened up. They claim to have sent "letters" but we have failed to see one.

Should i contact the old apartment complex? I am so confused on what to do. They are threatening to ruin my credit on Monday if I dont pay, is that legal to say that on the phone or tell me that I will ruin my co-signers credit and telling me that he has great credit?

So Confused!

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back