Officer recommends that I show up to court

Status
Not open for further replies.

g8torPaul

I got a speeding ticket the other day driving on a medium size highway at 7am on a Saturday morning (nobody was on the road). I was honest with the cop and told him that I wasn't aware of the speed limit in this area and that I wasn't sure how fast I was going.

So he tells me that he appreciated my honesty. He says that I should show up for the court date. That will give him time to look at my driving record. That I should plead innocent and we will see if we can get the ticket reduced. Then he writes "will help" in the memo line on the ticket.

So here's the deal. If I go to court and plead innocent, I don't know what I am going to tell the judge. I know that I am guilty. But the cop told me to plead innocent. Also, my driving record is not that good. So even if I was honest with the cop that day, I don't think looking at my driving record is going to help me. The only thing I can hope for is that this cop is not even going to show up. So if he doesn't show up, Am I off the hook? What do you think I should do? The other option of course is to pay the ticket ($180).

Thanks,

-Paul

If the officer suggests that you show up in court then that is your best option. If you already have several tickets on your record you need to do everything possible to reduce this ticket.

Try to see the officer right before court and and remind him of his statement that you needed to appear. Ask him what you should do. See if traffic school or a deferment is an option.

Based on your post I think he will do what he can for you if you show up.

Well, I showed up to court. The officer was there. I approached him before the trial. He remembered me and said that I should plead not guilty and that he would honor his commitment to speak to the judge.

However, when I checked into the courtroom, they could not find my original ticket. So the judge rescheduled the court date another 30 days in the hopes of finding the ticket. If they don't find the ticket by that new date then they will have to throw it out of court. Keep your fingers crossed...

The one confusing thing was that the judge asked me if it was okay to extend the court date, to give the court more time. I said it was okay at the time, but now I am thinking "Did I have any other options?". Could I have told the judge no and gotten off?

-g8torPaul

You should have made a motion for dismissal but the judge could still have granted the state a continuance. In many states your first court date is just an arraignment and they set your trial for a later date if you plead not guilty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back