Offered a PIP or 10 week severance package!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

egrizzly

Jurisdiction
Texas
Hi all,

I work in the cybersecurity field as a Senior Analyst

So a new boss of mine who has quite a different background than 95% of cybersecurity executives comes all of a sudden yesterday and gives me an offer between a 10 week Performance Improvement Plan (PIP) or a 10 week severance package. So I either take the severance package and have my last day as May 20th, or opt for the 10 week PIP, after I'll be given a 2-week severance if my performance does not "improve".

Geezzz. This guy never had any monthly 1 on 1s with me or shared anything definitive on what standards or scope of performance were, and all of a sudden, yesterday evening he says I was not performing up to the standards, which he never announced.

So now there's a protege of his he brought in who is cowboy style often taking on out-of-scope work designated for other groups (System Admins) which basically increased his performance numbers. The guy randomly comes up with what he feels is right from his own opinion and just does it. He has free meetings to other support teams speeding up the flow of his work while I have to get approval and schedule these meetings making my workflow a much slower pace.

I was given less than 24 hours to respond to this offer (something that's also strange and abrupt).

This guy is basically the no-college degree-type that evaluates capability to do work from a bottom-up approach, compared to his counterpart CISOs. This means that he feels that somebodys capability to perform is based on his exposure to "individual named brands of technologies" as opposed to the underlying concepts that drive those category of technologies. (top down). As a relatable, everyday example, his philosophy is that if somebody is experienced with driving a Honda Accord, a Lexus GS, Nissan Altima, and a Toyota Camry, that makes them a better thinker about automobiles than somebody who has proven industry endorsements and credentials, trainings on how automobile sedans work and has experience with a Honda Accord and a Toyota Camry.

Seriously I'm drawing blanks on how to deal with this. Please, please, give me some guidance. I'm not skilled with these type of situations.

I suggest that you make a decision in the time-frame given.

You know this is a legal forum not psychic friends network.

Also while I have several college degrees I would not equate that as some more valuable things to companies paying your salary than ole Jeb who holds the purse strings to your career.

College degrees help with your own self confidence and entrepreneurship but doesn't equate to experience within the corporate world or have any real value beyond your work ethic and ability to see things through.

You know this is a legal forum not psychic friends network.

Also while I have several college degrees I would not equate that as some more valuable things to companies paying your salary than ole Jeb who holds the purse strings to your career.

College degrees help with your own self confidence and entrepreneurship but doesn't equate to experience within the corporate world or have any real value beyond your work ethic and ability to see things through.
Agreed.
In general, in my opinion, and outside of certain specialized fields, the degree just gets your foot in the door.

Obviously, for whatever reason, they want you gone. Obviously, you believe there is some legal action or formal channel of protest you can make about this situation. There is not. You can leave, or you can wait to be fired for failure to achieve your PIP. Choosing the severance package was probably the better way.

So now there's a protege of his he brought in who is cowboy style often taking on out-of-scope work designated for other groups (System Admins) which basically increased his performance numbers. The guy randomly comes up with what he feels is right from his own opinion and just does it. He has free meetings to other support teams speeding up the flow of his work while I have to get approval and schedule these meetings making my workflow a much slower pace.
It sounds to me like the new guy is a real hard-driving go getter who doesn't let things stand in the way of his goals. Instead of derision, perhaps a bit of respect and a desire to learn would be in order.

Hi all,

I work in the cybersecurity field as a Senior Analyst

So a new boss of mine who has quite a different background than 95% of cybersecurity executives comes all of a sudden yesterday and gives me an offer between a 10 week Performance Improvement Plan (PIP) or a 10 week severance package. So I either take the severance package and have my last day as May 20th, or opt for the 10 week PIP, after I'll be given a 2-week severance if my performance does not "improve".

Geezzz. This guy never had any monthly 1 on 1s with me or shared anything definitive on what standards or scope of performance were, and all of a sudden, yesterday evening he says I was not performing up to the standards, which he never announced.

I was given less than 24 hours to respond to this offer (something that's also strange and abrupt).

This guy is basically the no-college degree-type that evaluates capability to do work from a bottom-up approach, compared to his counterpart CISOs. This means that he feels that somebodys capability to perform is based on his exposure to "individual named brands of technologies" as opposed to the underlying concepts that drive those category of technologies. (top down). As a relatable, everyday example, his philosophy is that if somebody is experienced with driving a Honda Accord, a Lexus GS, Nissan Altima, and a Toyota Camry, that makes them a better thinker about automobiles than somebody who has proven industry endorsements and credentials, trainings on how automobile sedans work and has experience with a Honda Accord and a Toyota Camry.

Seriously I'm drawing blanks on how to deal with this. Please, please, give me some guidance. I'm not skilled with these type of situations.

This isn't a legal situation, it is a personal choice situation.

The OP has a choice between 10 weeks of pay or 12 weeks of pay (at least). Unless the OP already has strong prospects elsewhere, it might be more wise to stay on while looking for new employment.

Just something for the OP to consider.

Then he runs the risk of being fired at any time during the 10 weeks PIP.

If it was me, I'd take the money now, rather than rely on the word of somebody who clearly wants to do me dirty.

Then he runs the risk of being fired at any time during the 10 weeks PIP.

If it was me, I'd take the money now, rather than rely on the word of somebody who clearly wants to do me dirty.
That's a fair enough point too.

Obviously, for whatever reason, they want you gone. Obviously, you believe there is some legal action or formal channel of protest you can make about this situation. There is not. You can leave, or you can wait to be fired for failure to achieve your PIP. Choosing the severance package was probably the better way.

Once the manager has offered me the severance package in writing (10 weeks of full pay), he can't turn around and say "gotcha! I was just trying to get you to quit. You only get two weeks. Sorry".

I mean the written severance offer is legally binding as they say right? He represents the company at this point and can't change his mind?

I mention this because as of the writing of this reply I have not read not one communication (written or verbal) from the companies Human Resources.

This isn't a legal situation, it is a personal choice situation.

Speaking of "legal situation", as I have mentioned in another reply already. Once the manager gives a written offer of 10 weeks severance that's the same as the organization offering it right? I mean it's legally binding correct? He can't come back and change his mind saying stuff like "it was just my opinion", or "this is no longer possible" after I've indicated that I want the severance right? ...just so he can finesse me into exiting as a walkout.

I say this as Machiavellian tactics have been his go-to approach and the written severance offer was from him and not Human Resources.

Maybe. Maybe not. Not everything is legally binding just because it's written down. An attorney would have to review it under the contract laws of the state in question.

I'll obfuscate as needed and upload...thanks.

Is this the same employer as your other thread? It sounds like they want you gone. For whatever reason you and the new management are not a good fit, so take the ten weeks severance and run.

Cyber security in IT is hot right now, you should have no problem finding another job quickly. Hopefully you spent time over the past few days updating your resume and applying for other positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back