Of mice and money

Status
Not open for further replies.

vsnyder

I wanted a pet to keep me company at school. So a friend of mine gave me two little white mice, both females. Lavern and shirley. I began to notice that lavern kept getting fatter and fatter and one day i looked in to the cage and there were 8 little pink babies in there with my other two mice. Apparently when she bought them the one was pregnant. I had to give the one away b/c she was attacking the babies, so i found her a home.
I still now had 9 mice instead of 2. Christmas break was coming upon us fast and i knew i wouldn't be allowed to take them home seeing as my mom was terrified. So I asked around and one day i was telling one of my friends...we'll call her Carol about the mice and the fact that i have yet to find someone to take them over break, she volunteered. I was so excited. I told her everything she would need to know and i said that when they turned 5 weeks old (which was a week before we came back to school) that they had to be separated by sexes. she said ok and i said that when the time comes if she would go to wal mart and buy another inexpensive cage like the one i had that i would pay her back for it. And i told her that mice food is like 89 cents a pound at pet stores get what they needed and i would pay her back, but i also added, just don't spend alot b/c i am broke and my parents don't have the money either. Well when we got back from break i called to see if i could pick them up and she said sure and when i walked over to her appartment i saw a 15 or 20 gallon glass tank sitting in her living room and she said will food and the tank i owed her roughly 50 bucks...she said it was more but she would round it to 50 to be nice. I was really upset. first b/c the cage was huge and expensive and i never expected her to buy something like that, second instead of buying the cheap food she bought them food that was 6 dollars a bag and she claims that they ate 3 bags of it but i have feed them on the same half of a bag that she gave me a month ago...and i am just now in need of buying more food and that was the same length of time as break! Now she and i aren't talking and she is demanding her money and i refuse to pay it. I am going to ask her first to see the reciepts and then if it adds up to 50 bucks i need to know if the verbal agreement i had with her not to spend alot and to buy the most inexpensive stuff possible covers me from having to pay that extravagent cost, remember i am a college student, 50 dollars is alot of money. Do i really owe her that much?

If the cage is within reason and not very high end then I'm not sure you can say that it isn't reasonable to pay for it. If cages typically cost half that amount then it would seem that you didn't agree to that deal. However, $50 for a cage doesn't seem like a great deal of money and probably reasonable although more than you would have spent. You should have specified a limit on the amount of money to spend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back