Odometer fraud

Swat

Jurisdiction
Arizona
Hi so I had a car I traded for a truck that the owner stated in texts and pictures. he had owned the truck twice and that it was a great running low mile truck we trade as he stated it had title box a 77200 miles had maint records show in this and took a pic of odometer show in this so retitle and its over 120000 as stated in New title come to find out truck came stock with a manual transmission someone changed out to a automatic transmission and put the automatic doner truck odometer in showing lower mileage he knew the mileage and paper proof was fake as when talking to dmv he himself had 118000 when reg to him so now I can't resell as a title a as it has odometer discrepancies and has to be titled as a box b or c title . None of these changes were made aware to me from him he also had a receipt from him in the truck manual book were it shows it is a manual transmission truck ... I'm in az what do I do thanks

Also once I got rims and tires as they were flat and bad the truck doesn't run hardly won't go out of fist gear . I traded a 66 olds for this and again all this is stated in phone texts And phone pics

Is the vehicle at least TEN YEARS OLD?

If it is, a private seller isn't required to disclose accurate mileage.

CAVEAT EMPTOR = BUYER BEWARE

Read on, mate, educate yourself.

An exemption to Title 49, Sec. 32705 of federal law says sellers of vehicles at least 10 model years old do not have to disclose odometer discrepancies in writing.

In Arizona, owners of such vehicles can leave the "mileage" box blank in an application for a title, according to ADOT Assistant Communications Director Doug Nick.

The written disclosure exemption, 49 CFR 580.17, was originally passed in 1970s and applied to vehicles 25 model years or older, said National Highway Traffic Safety Administration spokeswoman Kathryn Henry. In the 1980's, the exemption was broadened to cover 10-year-old vehicles.

"As a practical matter, in those days vehicles didn't last as long as they do today and there was little odometer fraud involving older vehicles. NHTSA recognizes that today's vehicles last much longer and are increasingly becoming the target of odometer fraudsters," she said.

Signs of odometer fraud on tens of thousands of Arizona cars

Odometer Fraud | DMV.ORG

ADOT offers consumer tips on avoiding fraud when buying a vehicle

what do I do

You spend lots of money to fix up the truck so you can get lots of years enjoyment out of it while the odometer catches up to the mileage on the title.

You made so many mistakes in buying this POS that I can hardly begin to list them.

Life lesson from the school of hard knocks.

So im using this as an example a 1987 Corvett zo6 the owner blows the mtr thats orig to car changes the hi performance motor and puts in a non performance mtr in and then changes the odometer out to lower mileage . then sells it stating that it's all orig and low mileage.. all stating this on documented phone texts .. I've seen cases like that won . Even on older vehicles were options have been added that wasn't added at factory but claimed to be

Also talking to a detective from car fraud he stated that guy should of put the title status to c as too the odometer change out as by law

So im using this as an example a 1987 Corvett zo6...

Which has nothing to do with anything.

You were fooled and ended up with what sounds like a bigger piece of junk than you started with.

Learn your lesson and move on with your life.

Ciao.

Hi so I had a car I traded for a truck that the owner stated in texts and pictures.

Stated what?

he had owned the truck twice and that it was a great running low mile truck we trade as he stated it had title box a 77200 miles had maint records show in this and took a pic of odometer show in this so retitle and its over 120000 as stated in New title come to find out truck came stock with a manual transmission someone changed out to a automatic transmission and put the automatic doner truck odometer in showing lower mileage he knew the mileage and paper proof was fake as when talking to dmv he himself had 118000 when reg to him so now I can't resell as a title a as it has odometer discrepancies and has to be titled as a box b or c title .

I can't tell how many sentences this is supposed to be or really what point you're trying to make.

what do I do

Unless there's evidence that the other party manually rolled back the odometer, nothing in your post suggests any basis for any legal claim. Transactions involving used cars between private parties are on an as-is basis. It is incumbent on the buyer to verify the condition of the vehicle.

Well he did via text and stated he owned truck twice .and should of disclosed that truck was orig a manual transmission and was changed out to a automatic and the odometer was too changed out

Well he did via text

Did what via text?

and stated he owned truck twice

So what?

and should of disclosed that truck was orig a manual transmission and was changed out to a automatic

Why? If you specifically asked about this, the seller was required to respond truthfully, but no law requires such a disclosure.

and the odometer was too changed out

As indicated by my prior response, manually rolling back the odometer may give rise to a viable claim.

Back