Oddometer Discrepency On Newly Purchsed Used Car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embassy

This weekend, 3/5/2008, my family & I purchased a used 2005 Honda Civic from the largest Honda dealership in the Boston area. In fact they claim to be the highest volume Honda dealership in the country.

We took the vehicle for a test drive and noted the mileage on the odometer, negotiated a price, had my 29 year old daughter sign a purchase and sales agreement and paid cash for it.

The dealership is holding off registering it until we determine if we want to register it in the corporate name or my daughters name. There may be a large difference in the insurance payments.

While going through this always harrowing process I did not ask for a Carfax report to verify the details of the prior titles.
Yesterday I had them fax me a Carfax report and I found a discrepancy in the odometer reading. The carfax report shows that on 12/11/2007 the New England Region Auto Auction recorded the mileage as 28850.
The next entry shows that on 2/1/2008 a title was recorded at the Mass DMV stating that the mileage was 66276.
The mileage in the vehicle this weekend was 29988 and is recorded on the P & S that way, as well as the yet to be submitted new title.

This is likely a clerical error on the 2/1/2008 title however it is important to correct because it will show up as an odometer inconsistency in the future, and will be flagged as odometer tampering reducing the resale value.

The Mass. Registry has a procedure for correcting title errors however I want to make sure this error is corrected by the dealer before we take possession of the vehicle. The registry takes seven to ten days to effect changes.
I'm not sure how this will show up on future Carfax reports.

I'm not sure how to proceed. Should we wait to take possession until the correction takes place? How can we verify that the problem is corrected and that future reports won't show a discrepancy?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back