Obligation to pay unpaid rent

Status
Not open for further replies.

lb9802

Things hadn't been going well between my roommate and I shortly after we signed a year lease together. I put up with it for as long as I could. Finally, she asked if her boyfriend could move it. (We only had 3 or 4 months left on the lease). I wasn't comfortable with it so I told her no. She got really upset, during the fighting, I asked her if she wanted me to move out and she said "pack your stuff". So, I moved out. She then said I was still responsible for paying the rent. I informed my landlord that i was leaving at the end of the month (verbally) and she said it was fine, that my roommate had already talked to her and that she (my roommate) would take care of everything. My roommate continued to insist i pay rent...I offered to give her $300 to take off some of the financial burden from her boyfriend (since he could now move in) but she said no, that her boyfriend could only afford to move in if we were all living there. In less than a week, I found someone to take my place in the house. My landlord said it was fine to sublease as long as my roommate ok'd it. She had previously mentioned that things would be better if I found someone to take my place. When I called her to tell her i found someone she was out of town for a funeral. She freaked out again and said I was not allowed to find someone to sublease, and that she was not going to live with someone else. I couldn't think of anything else to do, so I still moved out and haven't paid rent. She is now sueing me for unpaid rent, cleaning, locks, and furniture removal. (I did leave some furniture behind because the person who wanted to sublease wanted it and I didn't have enough time to get rid of it before i left, however, i did clean completely and even painted, before I left). Do I have any chance of winning this in court or am I going to have to pay her everything she is demanding???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back