NYC commercial parking lot accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

nycpark

I park my vehicle in a commercial garage in NYC. Usually the parking attendants bring my vehicle to the curb when I go to retrieve my car. Last week when I went to pick my car, the lot was busy so the attendant handed me the keys and asked me to retrieve the car myself. Because the lot was packed, I damaged my rear bumper while trying to maneuver my car within the lot by hitting the edge of a stationary vehicle at 2mph while on reverse. My car was wedged between 2 cars parallel to mine, and there was a row of vehicles barely more than 5-6 ft behind my car. Not used to maneuvering in such tight spaces, I mis-judged the distance while on reverse.
Can the parking lot (and its insurance provider) be held liable for my damages? On the one hand I was at the wheel, but on the other I was asked by the attendant to essentially do his job. I was being nice by trying to help him out since the lot was so busy, but in the process my new car that I so assiduously was trying to maintain got a nasty ding. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back