Nursing School

Status
Not open for further replies.

DecemberBlue

Me: 2nd yr student in a BSN program. ISSUE: standardized testing; Evolve HESI. a national test that is to prep students for the NCLEX board; a couple programs in our state require that students pass this test at the END of the program, before they receive their degree MY program integrates this test into each course, therefore the student is required to take this exam at the end of most of the courses and a % is integrated into the students' final grade. Now.While I had some issues with this overall due to the fact that each time I don't do well in this test my hard earned GPA drops, but in the current course the test is a weighted the same as one of our actual exams but also it is calculated into the min 73% exam avg to be accomplished before a student can progress in the program. The test is at times includes more info than what students was taught in the actual course. So for this current class I did not pass the test which made me not pass the class by .5% I have spoken to the dean who seems to agree that the course needs to be reevaluated; however it's not something that can be done quick enough in my favor, but I am in the middle of a grievance AND also speaking with the president of the program (different from the dean). I want to know what my chances are in bringing this to a legal level. Should a program that is not required by the nation in each course but is in my school be a part of a students grade and/or be included in the required 73% minimum average needed to progress in the program? Is it right that my course coordinator is suggesting that I lose 15K worth of tuition to retake the course because she is not willing (despite the deans suggestion) allow me to do extra work or retake that particular test to pass the course? What direction can I take this? Keep in mind this is a school that is in the process of curriculum revamp AND does not make it onto Newsweek's ranking of nursing schools out of the 200 that do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back