Quiet Enjoyment Nuisance Fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclanton

I received a nuisance party ticket recently due to a recent gathering that was held at my apartment. The police officer said that he received a call that there were drugs at the party and that's why they came to the apartment but they said that they didn't smell or see any drugs but they still had to give a ticket for the noise. This is about the 9th time that I've had my music at the same level that it was the night of the party and the police have NEVER been called on a noise complaint. I stay in a college apartment so I'm pretty sure that noise was not the issue. Not only was I not given a clear understanding as to why I received the ticket but I was outside speaking to the police officer and he opened my front door and walked into my apartment without asking or explaining why they needed to go inside. Then they went on to check everyone's i.d's although there was no evidence of alcohol in the apartment at all. I've never had a noise complaint before so I just wanted to see if there is anything I could do about this because I may be wrong but I feel as though the situation did not call for a nuisance party fine when it was the first time it happened. Seeing as though they came on drug accusations and found nothing at all, was a ticket necessary?

Whether it is the first time or the 100th time you can be cited if you are in violation of what is likely a local noise ordinance. There is no requirement to warn you, though I would wxpect in most cases the police would do just that. If you ignore the warning then you would get the citation. There may have been other issues in play here.
It does not matter that they may have come for a drug complaint- they found something else and for whatever reason opted to issue the citation. Go to court and argue your case if you like, but from what you say here it does not seem anything is out of line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back