Eviction Process Notice of breach of lease for dirty carpet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doodle1222

Hi:

2 days ago, we got a note on our door saying that we were in breach of our lease for having an dirty carpet. They said they noticed this upon inspection of our water meter by the maintenance crew. My husband was home at the time, and said the maintenance guy was only in the apartment for 30 seconds, and had no prior knowledge of them coming to check our water meter. It went on that the above item needed to be completed as soon as possible and that the apartment manager and maintenance staff will return on Tuesday, Feb 3rd, to re-inspect apartment. There was nothing mentioned about having to complete the task or risk eviction, but said we were in breach of the lease, (which could result in an eviction.) It simply just seems to be a letter indicating that we need to clean the carpet.

I am a little confused on whether this is a letter with the intent of evicting us eventually, or if they just want to problem addressed. We have since cleaned the carpet as requested, but we are not sure what our rights are here.

Any help and guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Chances are they just want it addressed. If there is something particularly filthy about your carpet that you are responsible for then you can rent a carpet cleaner at most home repair type stores and pet stores.
If the carpet is taken care of then they should be satisfied.
Consider cleaning it then putting down some rugs to protect it.

Chances are they just want it addressed. If there is something particularly filthy about your carpet that you are responsible for then you can rent a carpet cleaner at most home repair type stores and pet stores.
If the carpet is taken care of then they should be satisfied.
Consider cleaning it then putting down some rugs to protect it.
t
Thanks for your advice. That's what we did. We rented a steam cleaner, and cleaned it. We also got some throw rugs to put down, I didn't particularly think it was that dirty, but apparently the maintenance guy thought so. We cleaned the entire apartment even though, the maintenance guy was just in the hallway of the apartment. I researched about the letter, and assumed it was them telling us to clean the carpet and nothing else. However them coming to "inspect" my home where I have been living for 6 years is really stressful, and I have never faced this before. I told my husband that they would more than likely just come in and look at the carpet and leave. He thinks they are going to look in our cabinets, and closets and stuff. But, I am pretty sure they can't take it that far. Police can't even do that without a warrant.

It appears to be management advising you to clean your carpet to remedy non compliance with your lease. A carpet not maintained properly will develop long term stains and can develop other chemical damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back