Not the typical car repossession???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConfusedALGirl

My car was repossessed at 1:30 am Tuesday. The guy mentioned that he had cruised past my home several times, but did not attempt to pick it up. HAving never experienced this, I was in a state of shock.

After making suitable arrangements with the finance company to reclaim my vehicle in a week's time, they suggested I call the recovery company to find out how much it would cost me. I was dismayed to learn that the company was over an hour's drive from me. When I spoke with him, however, he told me that he did not take my vehicle to the impound lot. He asked if I had an extra key, which a relative does. He said that when the finance company gave him the ok to release the vehicle, he would tell me where he parked it (it was "somewhere near my home"). He also stated that he would not be charging me any additional impound fees outside of the $400 that was charged to the finance company.

Later, a relative and I were leaving a local Walmart....and I DISCOVERED MY CAR SITTING AT THE FAR END OF THE PARKING LOT!!!!! My relative thought I should take the car, but I didnt feel comfortable taking it home for possible legal complications. (she thought it might get vandalized, or towed by the city if it sat there for a week.) I compromised and moved it to a safer location, but it was not directly in my possession. However, this did not feel right to me, and I took it back to it's location.

Did I do the right thing? What are my rights if something happens to my vehicle? Should I notify the finance company? I am appreciative of his not charging me the additional fees, but the safety of my vehicle is also a very big concern.

Thanks for any advice!!
Confused in Alabama

P.S. If it makes any difference, the finance company is located in Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back