Not at fault but uninsured

debrajay

Jurisdiction
Michigan
While driving on the job my truck went into a slide on ice covered bridge. I was hit by another car and then slammed into concrete wall. I was not at fault, no tickets issued, not even for no insurance/officer didn't even ask for proof of insurance. Will the other driver look to sue and can they take anything from me? I am on a very small SSI benefit and work an average of 10 hours a week. All I have is a camper I bought to live in to get out of a violent domestic relationship. My truck was totaled and I will need to replace it to continue working as SSI alone will not cover living costs.

While driving on the job my truck went into a slide on ice covered bridge. I was hit by another car and then slammed into concrete wall. I was not at fault,

I can't fathom why you think you were not at fault when you failed to control your vehicle. Everybody knows or should know that ice forms on bridges. There are often signs to that effect. And even if there weren't, you may have been going too fast for conditions. That you lost control would be proof of that.

no tickets issued, not even for no insurance/officer didn't even ask for proof of insurance.

None of that has anything to do with fault in negligence law.

Will the other driver look to sue

No way to predict whether the other driver "will" sue, but the other driver certainly "could" sue.

can they take anything from me? I am on a very small SSI benefit and work an average of 10 hours a week. All I have is a camper I bought to live in to get out of a violent domestic relationship.

The other driver would have to get a judgment against you in court before being able to take anything. Your SSI is exempt from judgment but your wages aren't. Michigan exempts a vehicle up to $3475 in value (equity). However the homestead exemption of $37,775 ($56,650 if over 65 or disabled) could apply to your camper if it's your principle residence.

My truck was totaled and I will need to replace it to continue working

You are likely out of luck since you have no damage insurance on it. I suspect that the other driver's insurance company will deny your claim since you lost control of your vehicle.

While driving on the job my truck went into a slide on ice covered bridge. I was hit by another car and then slammed into concrete wall. I was not at fault, no tickets issued, not even for no insurance/officer didn't even ask for proof of insurance. Will the other driver look to sue and can they take anything from me? I am on a very small SSI benefit and work an average of 10 hours a week. All I have is a camper I bought to live in to get out of a violent domestic relationship. My truck was totaled and I will need to replace it to continue working as SSI alone will not cover living costs.

Don't believe 25 mph. was driving too fast, nor am I careless, over 40 years driving have never had a citation or accident. Not looking for other driver to replace my vehicle. Thanks

Michigan is a rather unique state out of 12 states where no fault insurance rules supreme.

You might wish to read the information offered on this link:

No-Fault Auto Insurance

... nor am I careless...

You are careless, maybe even reckless, for driving without insurance. You're certainly stupid. You deserve to lose your license.

You face possible criminal penalties, whether you were issued any tickets or not. If I was you I would contact a criminal defense attorney ASAP.

Back