Not able to get the title from the dealer

thinkdo

I live in NY but bought the car in NJ

I wanted to buy a used car, a friend of mine told me about a dealer who lives in NY but supposedly has a NJ dealer license, I went with him to a Dealers Only Car Auction in NJ and he bought me a car that I choose. I then paid him the Full price of the car plus his commission with a check. He gave me a bill of sale and issued a NJ temporary plates valid for 20 days and said that he should receive the title from the auction within 7 days then he will transfer it to my name. it's been 27 days now and he did not give me the title, every time I call he claims that he has not received it yet. the temp plates has expired and I am not able to drive the car. what legal action should I take and to which authority should I report him in order to get the title?

Thank you,

I live in NY but bought the car in NJ

I wanted to buy a used car, a friend of mine told me about a dealer who lives in NY but supposedly has a NJ dealer license, I went with him to a Dealers Only Car Auction in NJ and he bought me a car that I choose. I then paid him the Full price of the car plus his commission with a check. He gave me a bill of sale and issued a NJ temporary plates valid for 20 days and said that he should receive the title from the auction within 7 days then he will transfer it to my name. it's been 27 days now and he did not give me the title, every time I call he claims that he has not received it yet. the temp plates has expired and I am not able to drive the car. what legal action should I take and to which authority should I report him in order to get the title?

Thank you,

You should first read all purchase contracts.
By God, I hope you have a BILL OF SALE, marked PAID in FULL>
Otherwise, you'll have to sue him in small claims court, either in the state where his "alleged" business is located, or in the state where he lives.
You bought a used car, generally, governments aren't concerned with used car sales.
Now, the State of NY will also want SALES TAXES, so be prepared to explain that when they come snooping around about the car you bought in NJ.

If he's a dealer, you might TRY reporting the dealer to the NJ used car dealer licensing agency.

Here you go, look around that site, you might find a link to report used car dealers:

http://www.state.nj.us/mvcbiz/BusinessServices/UsedNew.htm

http://www.state.nj.us/mvcbiz/BusinessServices/Dealership.htm

Thank you so much for replying,

unfortunately the bill of sale is not marked as "PAID IN FULL" I paid 10% cash and 90% with a check. is a cancelled check good enough to proof that I paid for the car? I paid over 15,000 for this car so I think I would have to sue in a higher court since small claims limit is 5000. do you think filling complaint with Division of Consumer Protection would be helpful?

Thank you so much for replying,

unfortunately the bill of sale is not marked as "PAID IN FULL" I paid 10% cash and 90% with a check. is a cancelled check good enough to proof that I paid for the car? I paid over 15,000 for this car so I think I would have to sue in a higher court since small claims limit is 5000. do you think filling complaint with Division of Consumer Protection would be helpful?

You might want to spend a few dollars and run a CarFax www.carfax.com on the car you MIGHT own one day....

What you learn might be startling.

Sure a cancelled check, might be probative.

Its better than nothing.

All I know is that it is never worth the risk to buy a car the way you chose to buy one.

Its always best to buy any car from a reputable, licensed new car dealer.

You can sue in any court you wish.

Don't expect miracles, because in most cases you'll be stuck with a rusty, bucket of bolts; and you'll never see the title or your money.

You are free to complain to the state, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

The lesson is don't buy anything from a crook.

You may have paid $500, or even $1,000 more by purchasing from a reputable, local dealer.

You wouldn't now be out over TEN GRAND and maybe counting!!!!

Last edited:
you are absolutely right, I acted naive and stupid but I only trusted this guy because a friend of mine bought 3 cars from him in the past and all the transactions went smooth. This is my first car purchase and I now feel very frustrated and depressed.

Back