None of this makes sense

sloane

Jurisdiction
Massachusetts
Ive been on here before, but I am so confused at our legal system. I could of done a better jjob then the two ding dong lawyers that we hired.

My 17 yr old son was ordered to pay the plaintiffs legal fees. (it was civil case) . Everyone told us that it would never happen because he was a minor and still in school, apparently evgferyone was wrong. The judge ordered him to pay.

Our lawyer told us that he will put in appeal (something like that). We gave us a flat fee and we paid him.

As time went on, we ended up with another bozo, because the first lawyer didnt want to do any work. So we paid a lot of money to this other ding dong.

Here is my question, my son got certified mail on 12.24.16 (merry christmas) to appear in court to pay those legal fees. Their lawyer stated in the letter, that they contacted my sons original lawyer who told them that he was going to file for an appeal, but because we "paid him a little money", he didn't do it.

FACT: He gave us a flat fee and we paid it. He is the one who told us how much it would be. Can a lawyer just do that? He also told us he was gong to file the appeal, I guess he never did.

Second lawyer, was more expensive, he sucked also, but same thing, flat fee, and we paid him up front.

On the paperwork ordering my son to go to court to pay, it stated that our second lawyer withdrew as our counsel this morning. 12.23.16.

Can our/a lawyer, just do that? Why would he do that? We paid him. Doesn't he have to tell us he withdrew? Someone told me that he would have to go to court to ask to be withdrawn, is that true?
He never notified us that he withdrew. Their lawyer has all these times where we tried to contact our lawyers about the payment but those lawyers never told us anything.

None of this makes any sense.

I just dont get this. YOu pay for a lawyer and then poof, they decide they are no longer your lawyer without telling you.

I want to sue them both for malpractice. Can I do this? I have all the emails and documents on what they said.

To be honest, we wouldn't be in this situation if I just represented my son, and now I am wondering if I should get another lawyer to fight this bogus order that my son has to pay their lawyer, and get it overturned, or just do it myself.

Has anyone ever heard a judge ordering a minor, with no income,still in school, to pay legal fees on a civil case, the reason they even have a lawyer is because it was their family estate lawyer.

How would you represent your son? I'm just going to let armyjudge take this one or someone else who has a legal background.

You should have signed a retainer agreement with each attorney that specifies what their responsibilities are and what yours are. Did you read them?

You should have signed a retainer agreement with each attorney that specifies what their responsibilities are and what yours are. Did you read them?

I dont remember getting any. They just quoted a flat fee and I agreed. WHat would this retainer look like and should I have gotten a copy of it?

I dont remember getting any. They just quoted a flat fee and I agreed. WHat would this retainer look like and should I have gotten a copy of it?
If I ask for one, will they just create one today and say they have it. I really dont remember seeing anything like that.

A retainer agreement is signed by you so an attorney can't just make one up and say it was in place.

This is a document which outlines fees and how you are charged and billed. It also outlines your responsibilities and your attorney's responsibility to you.

Back