Noncompete agreement at work

Status
Not open for further replies.

takeitaway

Hi. I work for a technology company in California and I was told I had to sign a noncompete agreement. I had no choice or they wouldn't hire me. I don't really know so much about the company, just do programming for them for their website. They still wanted me to sign one that I won't work for another company that is a social network which is sort of crazy but I needed the job. I have only been there 3 months and I really want to leave. But this noncompete contract says I can't work in the social networking industry for a year. Can they really stop me from taking another job?

They can try, but many non-competes are basically unenforceable. You'd have to take the document to an attorney who will be able to verify whether or not it will hold up in court.

Non-competes in Ca. are generally unenforceable unless they fall under one of the established statutory exceptions for non competes entered into: (1) in connection with the sale of a business, (2) among partners in a partnership, or (3) among members of a limited liability corporation.

A non-compete should always be taken to an employment or contract attorney for his/her review & advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back