Non-resident

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Benjamin leo

First of all, i'm french and i want to apologize in advance for my gaps in my English knowledge.

Here is my question :

Will, a resident of a state who commits a crime in another state, serve his sentence in the state where the crime was committed or in the state where he lives ?

Thanks.

First of all, i'm french and i want to apologize in advance for my gaps in my English knowledge.

Here is my question :

Will, a resident of a state who commits a crime in another state, serve his sentence in the state where the crime was committed or in the state where he lives ?

Thanks.

If a person commits a a state crime in Idaho, yet resides in Iowa, if convicted of the crime and sentenced to prison; it would be a prison in Idaho.

If the person is charged with a committing and eventually convicted of a federal crime, he could end up serving his time anywhere in the USA.

If a person commits a a state crime in Idaho, yet resides in Iowa, if convicted of the crime and sentenced to prison; it would be a prison in Idaho.

If the person is charged with a committing and eventually convicted of a federal crime, he could end up serving his time anywhere in the USA.

Thanks a lot sir ! Now i will inform myself on the differences between "State crime" and "Federal crime".

Thanks again for your help and time.

You're welcome. :)

Hi, i'm asking for help again and hope i do not bother you with my questions; otherwise just tell me.

- Since many crimes are prosecutable in both state and federal courts, i wonder which part will sue a person who falls under both laws and who decides it.
Moreover, when a person is convicted of a federal crime, what element of the case will influence the decision that he or she will serve its time in californian federal prison or in a texan one. In other words, who decides, how and why this or that location in the US.

Thanks a lot.

Hi, i'm asking for help again and hope i do not bother you with my questions; otherwise just tell me.

- Since many crimes are prosecutable in both state and federal courts, i wonder which part will sue a person who falls under both laws and who decides it.
Moreover, when a person is convicted of a federal crime, what element of the case will influence the decision that he or she will serve its time in californian federal prison or in a texan one. In other words, who decides, how and why this or that location in the US.

Thanks a lot.

In most matters, it depends on WHERE the person commits te alleged crime, Florida or Idaho, for example.

In some cases, the federal government asserts it jurisdictions, often in crimes committed that go across state lines, or specific federal crimes, like income tax evasion, crimes against federal property (such as parks, post offices, or courts for a few examples).

Its not as complex as it seems, and every nation has similar schemes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back