non compete

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohbucguy

7 years ago I signed a non compete agreement. It was for a period of 3 years after employment. My pay plan has changed several times since then, (not for the better). Now I am down to just 16 hours per week. I also am disabled. I have no choice but to start my own business doing the only thing I know. My question is, In the state of Ohio are non competes enforceable. My no compete agreement is very broad and open to interpretation.

This is what Ohio says about non-competes:

Ohio courts uphold non-competes to the extent they're necessary to protect an employer's legitimate interest, don't impose an undue hardship on an employee, and aren't injurious to the public. If the restriction is overbroad in scope or duration, a court will reduce it to what's reasonably necessary to protect the employer's legitimate interest. Continued employment is adequate consideration for a promise not to compete.

Reference - Rogers v. Runfola & Assoc. (1991) & Lake Land Employment Gr. of Akron
v. Columber (2004)

However, anytime you have a non-compete you need to take it to an employment or contract attorney in your area for review & advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back