Non Compete blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoffh

Hello.

I currently work for a contract company that provides contingent staff to a large firm in western Washington. My situation is this: I am employed by company A to do operational work at company X as a contingent staff member. The place where I work is pretty much a team of about 30 people. Besides company A, company B, C, and D also provide contingent staff for the same job, in the same office, working on the same equipment. Our team is a jumble of employees from several different contingent staffing companies and we all perform the same tasks. When I started the job, I was pretty much unaware of this and signed a non compete agreement with company A which prevents me from working for B, C, or D for 6 months after completing the contract. I think contract pretty much says that I am not aloud to work for a competetor that provides service to one of thier customers.

B, C, and D i've found out though other employees are compensating thier employees a great deal more then company A even though company X pays them all the same for the staff.

I want to leave company A and begin working at one of the other companies in the same possition so I can get better compensation. I have been told (by people who I don't particularly know if they know what they are talking about) that Washington state is a "Right to Work state" and this non-compete contract really doesn't hold up.

Does anyone have any information on this? I've never been in trouble before so I'm somewhat ignorant of the laws around this. If I were to terminate my employment with A and started working for B at the same job, would they be able to come after me?

thanks

No, they don't know what they're talking about. To start with, Washington is not a right to work state. For another thing, even if it were, all that would mean is that you couldn't be forced to join a union in order to get work. It has nothing whatsoever to do with your situation.

There is nothing inherently illegal about a non-compete contract, but since we haven't read yours we can't interpret it for you or tell what options you have. You will have to show the agreement to a local attorney to see whether or not it is enforceable, though nothing in your post suggests that it wouldn't be. At least in my state, the agreement you mention (not working for three specific named companies for a period of six months only) would be legal.

Why can't you do some kind of temp work for the six months and THEN go to work for Company B? Has Company B even indicated that they wish to hire you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back