Nolo Contendere Question(s)...

Jimster7

Jurisdiction
Rhode Island
I pleaded Nolo Contendere with no conviction? My paid lawyer said there isn't any convictions but I did sign papers saying I plead Nolo Contendere, this will still show up on my records? what will show up on my records? I was charged with a DUI and a couple of drug offenses.
my lawyer also said my court file will be stored in the courts file cabinet for like a year from whenever i finished all the court meetings and when that year comes, theyll just toss out those files....I dont really understand all of these lol. sorry for the noob questions everyone

p.s: im probably asking all the wrong questions...again sorry lol

Nolo contender means that you are not raising any defenses against what you are accused of. It's up to the judge to decide based on what evidence the state has.

It's the equivalent of pleading guilty.

That you have to meet certain requirements for a year suggests that you are on some sort of deferred adjudication or probation and if you mess up during that year, the original charges come down on you like a ton of bricks.

If you manage to behave for a year my guess is that the charges get dismissed which is not the same as tossing the files in the trash. That means avoid booze and drugs like they were poison (they are). And don't break any traffic laws.

I suggest you go to the courthouse and read your case file. The documents in the file will explain exactly what happened.

Back