Quiet Enjoyment Noisy neighbors, landlord unmotivated to do anything about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motif19076

In November of last year I got a job in San Francisco and moved to Berkeley to be closer to The City. Almost immediately after moving in I noticed my neighbors in #3 are extremely noisy. It started with yelling and laughing in the very late night from 1 to 4AM. This was also accompanied by very loud music. After this was happening multiple times a week I worked up the courage to knock on the door and asked them politely to keep it down. Similar instances of this happened all through December with the addition of one instance where one of the tenants in #3 was cry, screaming, and (what sounds like) the smashing of personal belongings in their apartment. This went on from 1AM to 5AM in the morning. I emailed my Landlord after this and they put a warning letter on their door. A few days go buy and one of the tenants in #3 knocked on my door and apologized for the excessive noise. A day later the noise is back. The tenants in #3 the blasting Star Wars episode 1 at 2AM (Yeah, it was that loud that I could tell what film it was). I pounded on the door and they turned the volume down. Fast forward to know and the noise is still happening at least 3 times a week. A few weeks back I actually called the police and emailed my landlord (police never came) when they were throwing a party. The tenants and their guests were smoking weed in the hallway, and blasting music. My landlord hasn't done a thing. I want out of my lease to escape this excessive noise that has been causing me to lose sleep for months but I don't even know where to begin. I have a feeling my landlord is going to fight me on this but I don't want that. I'd just like my deposit back and get out of there. A part of me feels I should be credited by my landlord based on his negligence to deal with my inconsiderate neighbors.

If you ask nicely you might get what you want, but the landlord isn't obligated to comply. Your easiest way out might be to simply run out the lease and move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back