Noises disturbing tenant

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon75

Hello!

I live in a luxury apt complex in San Jose which is fairly new (less than 5 yrs old). Anyways since the last one month we hear a vibrating metallic sound (frequency is every 5 mins , duration is 5-7 secs) from the ceiling. The vibrations reverberates throughout the apt but is primarily heard in the master bedroom. I've brought it to the notice of the apt manager & she has dispatched numerous people to look into the issue. Unfortunately they haven't been able to determine the cause so far in 5 weeks!!

The noise continues to be a source of irritation to me & my family , especially at night. Is there any discount in rent that we can demand considering the inconvenience that we have to bear?

Thanks!

-A concerned resident. :confused:

Problems with my neighbor

Hello!

I need some advice. My neighbor that lives under me has been complaining about the noise coming from my apartment. I have 2 kids and they are 6 and 2 , the lady downstairs says my kids make too much noise for her. I really don't understand my kids are typical kids and they go to bed at 8 pm every night and 3 nights out of the week they are not even with me. This lady says she hears all kinds of running and jumping and sounds of toys hitting the floor. When my kids are playing if they get too rough I tell them to settle down. The manager in from the apartment has agreed to let me switch apartments, but I would have to re-sign a year lease. The lady is threatening to get a lawyer and take me to court. I don't know what to do. I feel my kids are being normal and not making unbearable noise. Does this lady have a valid reason to take me to court and would she win???

Please Help,
I'm in Florida

Legal recourse? Maybe. Legitimate complaint? Definitely.

OjosAzul said:
Hello!

I need some advice. My neighbor that lives under me has been complaining about the noise coming from my apartment. I have 2 kids and they are 6 and 2 , the lady downstairs says my kids make too much noise for her. I really don't understand my kids are typical kids and they go to bed at 8 pm every night and 3 nights out of the week they are not even with me. This lady says she hears all kinds of running and jumping and sounds of toys hitting the floor. When my kids are playing if they get too rough I tell them to settle down. The manager in from the apartment has agreed to let me switch apartments, but I would have to re-sign a year lease. The lady is threatening to get a lawyer and take me to court. I don't know what to do. I feel my kids are being normal and not making unbearable noise. Does this lady have a valid reason to take me to court and would she win???

Please Help,
I'm in Florida
While this lady may or may not have a legal recourse against you, she does have a legitimate complaint concerning the noise issue. While you may not feel that running and jumping and sounds of toys hitting the floor are just kids being normal and not making unbearable sounds; keep in mind that you're not living in a house where no one else has to tolerate the jumping and running and toys hitting the floor except you. You are living in an apartment where I'm sure the floors are not well insulated so you have to be curtious of your neighbors underneath and around you who don't care to hear the running, jumping, and toys hitting the floor. That's the unfortunate thing about apartment living in most cases. They are not well-insulated structures so respect for others enjoyment of their dwelling has to be a priority by all tenants. Telling your kids to settle down after they get too rough is basically being a day late and a dollar short. The damage is done by that point. They need to know that it is not acceptable behavior in an apartment to run, jump, drop toys, or make any other loud noise as to respect the other neighbors right to quiet and enjoyment of their units. This lady may or may not win in court. It all depends on how well she prepares her case against you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back