No one cares about Dad, just his money!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgtswife22

My father is 89 years old and lives in Florida. I am his ONLY biological child and I live in Arkansas. I have three half-sisters and one half-brother. One of the sisters (the eldest) is technically not a sister at all, but a first cousin raised by our mother; never formally adopted. My father never adopted any of these half-siblings.
Dad was in pretty good health until February of this year when he had a mild heart attack complicated by pneumonia and pleurisy. When my husband and I visited Dad in 2011 he insisted that I look over his will and his power of attorney designation. He gave POA to one of my half-sisters that lives in Tennessee (with me being #2 on the POA). When I questioned this Dad told me he did it that way because she lived closer to him and was single with no obligations outside of work. I live further away and own a working farm with my husband. In his will he designated that all of us would share and share alike his estate - which I have no qualms about.
He did not give POA to the half-sister (let's call her Anne) that lives just a few miles from him for several reasons. #1. She has a gambling problem. #2. She is extremely reckless with money. And #3. She is raising her two teen grandsons, both of whom have several mental issues; in fact, one was just released from a state mental treatment facility yesterday. This half-sister also has a habit of borrowing anywhere from $50 to $300 from Dad each and every month.
Dad is now in a nursing home, his second one since February since the first one was providing sub-standard care. He has gone downhill rapidly and is no longer competent. Sister with the POA plans to travel to Florida this weekend and put the POA into effect.
When Dad first took sick, I offered to bring Dad into my home to care for him. This makes sense for several reasons. I am the only married sibling, living a comfortable life with my husband. We are not hurting financially. I hold a degree in medical assisting and graduated nursing school, though I am not licensed in the state of Florida. I have done quite a bit of private hospice care.
When "Anne" found out that I had made this offer to Dad she went ballistic and waged a smear campaign against me on Facebook.
Now Dad is really failing health-wise but lucid enough to let everyone know that he hates the nursing home. He tries to escape regularly. I contacted the half-sister that has POA and offered to put my life on hold to move to Florida temporarily to care for Dad in his own home. This half-sister and Anne are extremely close knit. They refused to even consider letting me care for my own father in his own home. They want him in the nursing home, having contact with only the two of them.
I have never had a good relationship with my step-siblings and what little I had is now gone. They are keeping my father from me. They have informed the nursing home that I am to be given absolutely no info. on my dad. If I try to call Dad at the nursing home and Anne happens to be there at the time, she hangs up on me. I would be willing to give them every bit of my share of the inheritence if only they would allow me to care for my dad in his last days.
Do I have any legal recourse? My husband and I are comfortable financially, but he just retired after 30 years as a law enforcement officer and we have to be frugal with money.
Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

You can simply ask dad to move into your home.
As he isn't incompetent, why not ask him if he wishes to move in with you.
If you can avoid courts, it'll be easier.
Or, you can go to court in Florida and seek conservatorship over dad and his affairs.
To do that, speak with a couple of Florida attorneys in the town where dad lives.
The POA is useless.
But, to thwart what they're doing, going to court is your best bet, other than getting dad to move in with you.

Kudos for caring about your dad this much. I dropped everything and on 2 days notice drove 3600 miles to get my dad and bring him back to the US, had my wife driving 1500 more, in relay, to take him to my home, where he alternated between there and a hospital 60 miles away until his death. My wife visited the hospital daily as we determined cost was not important, dad was.

Thank you for your replies. When Dad was admitted to the hospital after the heart attack in February of this year my husband and I did travel down there. When we first arrived and visited Dad in the hospital we found him to be very confused and disoriented. IMO, that's normal for an elderly person suddenly removed from their home and familiar surroundings. In addition, Dad had taken three falls in the hospital, hitting his head each time. Dad remained confused for the first few days once moved to the nursing home, but by the time we had to leave to return home he was back to his old, competent self.
For one reason or the other - mainly because the half-sisters prevent it - I have only been able to speak to Dad once since he was moved to the new nursing home. I could hear "Anne" standing right there instructing him on what to say.
If I am going to have a chance to discuss my moving down there to care for Dad with him, I am going to have to find a way to speak with him when one or the other half-sisters aren't there "running the show".
Thanks again.

Thank you for your replies. When Dad was admitted to the hospital after the heart attack in February of this year my husband and I did travel down there. When we first arrived and visited Dad in the hospital we found him to be very confused and disoriented. IMO, that's normal for an elderly person suddenly removed from their home and familiar surroundings. In addition, Dad had taken three falls in the hospital, hitting his head each time. Dad remained confused for the first few days once moved to the nursing home, but by the time we had to leave to return home he was back to his old, competent self.
For one reason or the other - mainly because the half-sisters prevent it - I have only been able to speak to Dad once since he was moved to the new nursing home. I could hear "Anne" standing right there instructing him on what to say.
If I am going to have a chance to discuss my moving down there to care for Dad with him, I am going to have to find a way to speak with him when one or the other half-sisters aren't there "running the show".
Thanks again.

I can't tell you how, but you can figure out a way to distract them.
Then you can be alone with dad.
One thing you need to consider is to stop calling his daughters your half-sisters.
Sure, that's what they are to you, and you to them.
But, to dad you're all his children.
You are no more related to dad than they are.
Apparently, you had different mothers, but the same dad.
Don't drive dad away, embrace what he likes, love what he loves.
That will make things easier for you, as you persuade dad to come live with you.
Barring any guardianship orders, dad is free to move with you to your home.
You just need to convince him that you will make his days pleasant.

I'm sorry, perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I am my father's only biological child. They are his stepchildren, i.e., we have the same mother (who passed away in 1993), but different fathers.

I'm sorry, perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I am my father's only biological child. They are his stepchildren, i.e., we have the same mother (who passed away in 1993), but different fathers.

If they are his step-children, they are your half-sisters.
They are of NO legal relationship to him, however.
As you are the ONLY living child, you are his ONLY legal next of kin!!!

The, so called step-children, have no legal say or authority over YOUR father.

He ISN'T their father.

He is EVERYTHING to you.

He is NOTHING to those hyenas.

I suggest you speak to the nursing home and inform them that they are NOT to allow the hyenas to have any contact with your dad.

Tell them, you are his only living child and his legal next of kin.

Get to dad's location ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back