No Insurand Accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

jecone

I was in an accident with no insurance (though I have it now). The other party involved did not contact me about any payments nor did thier insurance, so when I recieved a letter from the DOT stating I had to give them my insurance information I called to see what I needed to do since I did not have any at the time. They stated that I had to get into contact with the owner or thier insurance company so I called thier insurance company. They informed me that there was no claim made so I filed a lost claim. After getting of the phone the insurance company called me back to tell me the owner wanted me to call them, so I did. When I asked if she had gotten an estimate on the damages to the car she stated she had sold it the next day for $300 less than originaly intended & stated they wanted me to pay that. I called the DOT again to see what my options were & they are to either set up a payment plan or the owner has to sign a release of liability. I also called my insurance company & they informed me that if it had been through the insurance company they would not be paying the $300 because it could be more than what the damages would have cost & because it was thier responsability to get an estimate.

I guess what I'm asking is if she did not get an estimate on the car's damages before selling it the next day should I have to pay for her personal loss of $300 in selling the car or is that not my responsability since she had the oprotunity to get an estimate before selling the car?

You don't have to accede to her demands.

I wouldn't pay the $300.

I'd do as your insurance company said they'd do.
I wouldn't pay it.
Tell her you'll see her in court when she sues you.

She won't.
She'd have to prove it.
As you guessed, she can't.

You were wrong for not having insurance.
The other driver was wrong for handling it the way she did.

You are right to be asking questions and be a little suspicious, and if you refuse to pay there isn't a heck of a lot the other driver can do since she can't prove her damages.

I dunno about you, but I have better things to do with my money than to just give it way when people demand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back