No Insurance Ticket, Expired by 9 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

icdforever

i, I recently got a ticket in Delaware. I was recently pulled over for speeding and I was also given a ticket for not having proof of insurance which I didn't think was a big deal since I had insurance. But when I went to pay the bills a couple of days later I realized my insurance had expired at midnight of the day of my ticket. I always have insurance but due to wife not sending check not this time. So, I go to the court date and think this isn't a big deal since I only have 1 other ticket in DE in my life for speeding and I am 33 but when the judge gets to me, he states the fine can but up to $3000 and loss of license for 6 months and encourages me to transfer my case to court of common pleas which I do. Mind you an almost non-English speaker, two case before me did not have a license or registered car but only had a fine of $800 which boogles my mind but besides the point.

My question is what do I do now? Should I get a lawyer or argue myself? I have the documentation of insurance being expired midnight of the day and new insurance later in the week when I realize it was expired. But I am scared to lose my license since I have a full time job and am normally a responsible law abiding citizen.

Any Help would be much appreciated.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back