No homeowners insurance

raj123

Parents getting sued for leak by other apartments and coop building. Parents don't have home insurance. Looking for tips/help in defending myself

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

Your situation is not clear.
Your parents are being sued. Why are you defending yourself? Do you mean how do you assist your parents?
Why do others claim your parents are liable for the leak? What was leaking?

Parents getting sued for leak by other apartments and coop building. Parents don't have home insurance. Looking for tips/help in defending myself

You wrote that your "[p]arents [are] getting sued," but you didn't say anything about you getting sued. Are you, in fact, being sued? Or, when you refer to "defending myself," are you talking about handling your parents' defense?

If you are being sued, you can, of course, act as your own attorney. However, you cannot legally represent your parents.

As for "tips/help," what exactly are you seeking?

In addition to the questions "mightymosse" asked, you should identify the state where this is happening.

Assuming for the moment that "getting sued" means that your parents were served a summons and complaint then the ONLY tip anybody can give you is have your parents hire a lawyer.

Did they get served a summons and complaint?

Or is something else happening?

Hi all thanks for the response, I should have written more clearly. My parents (in Queens, NY) do not have home insurance. There was a leak (which my parents are being held responsible for) that went down thru 6 floors of apartments. The insurance companies of the owners of the other apartments, as well as the building itself will be suing my parents for damages. My parents have no money. That being said, I was wondering if there was any ideas on how my parents could defend themselves in court

There are any number of possible defenses but you have not provided nearly enough information. Obviously, renters/liability insurance would have been a good idea. You haven't said why your parents are being held responsible, what damage was caused, or what happened other than there was a leak of some kind.

There was a leak (which my parents are being held responsible for) that went down thru 6 floors of apartments.

What kind of leak and where did originate?

The insurance companies of the owners of the other apartments, as well as the building itself will be suing my parents for damages.

"Will be suing" is the operative phrase. That means they aren't being sued and are free to ignore the demands of the insurance companies until such time as they are sued and they can then address the matter with a liability defense attorney or a bankruptcy attorney.

It might help you to know that insurance companies have to pay their lawyers to file lawsuits and they aren't cheap. Subrogation reps will quite often huff and puff with demands, threats and accusations but establishing negligence for water damage claims is difficult. If they get no response there is a small chance that they will eventually close the files with no further action or, at worst, send them out to collection agencies.

Hi,

The filter in the attached picture came loose overnight. The water then leaked down thru all apartments in the line.

I don't know how it came loose. We haven't yet received any notices but I anticipate it will happen shortly and want to be prepared.

Thanks in advance for any advice on what steps I should take.auploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20170822_791fd6cc80bcaa5ab88dbbbf13888be4.jpg

Thanks for the picture. Now let's see if there is any negligence on the part of your parents. If there isn't any then they aren't liable.

1 - Did either of your parents personally install the filter?

2 - If yes, what date?

3 - In no, then who did and what date?

4 - Is that an actual picture under your parents' sink or a generic picture from the internet? If not the actual sink, is there a cabinet front on the sink? If yes, let's have pictures with doors open and closed.

Parents don't have home insurance. Looking for tips/help in defending myself

Bummer your parents don't have insurance to protect their valuables and themselves from liability.

Maybe you can discuss how your parents can buy health insurance, and you can kick in some bucks to help them acquire good coverage.

Good looking filter, maybe it was defective?

Why not have a repair person look at it and report their findings to your family?

Back