no documentation of child support

Status
Not open for further replies.

onemansideas

hello i have been a permanent resident since 2004, and i have been in the US since 2002, however I got divorced in 2006 after being married for 4 years, while I am up to date on my child support, i have no documentation of these payments and my ex refuses to give me a notarized letter attesting that i am up to date. do i have any worries about renewing my card? I was recently turned down for citizenship because of i had no proof from my ex and i was said not to be in "good moral standing"
thank you in advance for you help

hello i have been a permanent resident since 2004, and i have been in the US since 2002, however I got divorced in 2006 after being married for 4 years, while I am up to date on my child support, i have no documentation of these payments and my ex refuses to give me a notarized letter attesting that i am up to date. do i have any worries about renewing my card? I was recently turned down for citizenship because of i had no proof from my ex and i was said not to be in "good moral standing"
thank you in advance for you help

EVEN IF YOUR FORMER SPOUSE WERE TO GIVE YOU SUCH A NOTARIZED LETTER, IT WOULD MEAN NOTHING.

The immigration authorities can verify ALL of your child support payments (or lack thereof) with the state agency that handles support payments for each state.

In New York state, it would be these fine people:

https://www.childsupport.ny.gov/dcse/home.html

Contact them, their details are all over that site, and they will be happy to provide you with the proof you are seeking.

One final thought, OP, even if you get that proof; I suspect you will be attempting to address other loose ends!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back