Harassment, Stalking, Misconduct No Contact Order

Status
Not open for further replies.

de_novo

Pennsylvania

Last year (2007), my grandfather passed away and my aunt became executor of the estate. Since that time my family has started to bicker amongst themselves over possessions and my aunt's husband (the husband of the executor) has become beligerant and quarrelsome. He has repeatedly tried to play to the emotions of myself, my immediate family, and others around us by repeatedly sending emails, letters, text messages and phone calls. Additionally, he has even been told by the estate attorney that he is compounding the problems. Last week a large family dispute came into being with the end product being my loss my temper on the phone with him. He then contacted the local police and stated that I threatened his life, which was far from the truth. Since that time, I have become even more fearful of what he might do to not only myself, but my girlfriend. I contatced the police to file a Harassment Restraining Order (H.R.O) and they stated that I would have to send him a certified letter in the mail, what they call a "no contact order." I work in the vicinity of attorneys and no one has heard of this before. Could someone please let me know what exactly it is and whether or not I can draft one myself (have some law experience) or if I need an attorney? Also, if I send it myself, even though it is a legal document, could this give him reason to file a H.R.O. or normal restraining order against me?

Thank-You for the help.

A no-contact order is a Order of Protection that is written by the court and then signed by a judge. It states whether or not there is a non-offensive (don't harass, stalk, etc.etc.) or an absolute no contact. It's in legal terms a restraining order.

I was told by my local police department that one needs to be written by me and be sent certified mail to the respondent and cc'd to both police departments. They didn't say anything pertaining to a judge. I drafted one yesterday, but have been unable to find examples of what they should look like. Any suggestions?

Thanks Kittysmerow for the post. Found out I could write one myself as long as I sent it to him certified letter and cc'd copies to both his and my local police departments. Any further troubles on that end of the spectrum should enable me to have some substantial evidence to meet my burden of proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back