No call, no show

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyschnit

I have an employee who has been a no call, no show the last 2 days. I was wondering if we could withhold their paycheck. I understand if a person quits or is fired, they still get paid but technically she didn't quit. She didn't give us any notice. She just stopped showing up without any notice.

You cannot withhold her paycheck for any time she actually worked. You do not have to pay her for the two days she was a no call no show and you can fire her effective immediately.

Agree, you have to pay her for any time worked or she can file a wage claim/complaint with your state's DOL if you don't pay her.

I agree with the others that you cannot withhold any pay she has coming from before the two days she didn't show up, although you don't have to pay her for those days. In a case like this, we would fire immediately, effective with the last day she actually worked, pay her out for any time owed from before she quit showing up, and be done with her.

I have an employee who has been a no call, no show the last 2 days. I was wondering if we could withhold their paycheck. I understand if a person quits or is fired, they still get paid but technically she didn't quit. She didn't give us any notice. She just stopped showing up without any notice.

The advice given has been spot on.
But, only you know your company's policy on "no call, no show".
Many companies and businesses have a three day "no call, no show" policy. Some have four or five days.
Sadly, these days, if an employee goes missing without explanation, most employers contact the local police or listed next of kin.
In some cases, long time, respected, valued employees have been later found murdered, assaulted and hospitalized, injured in an off duty accident, or stricken with an unexpected illness causing them to be hospitalized and incommunicado.

A few end up in the local hoosegow, also incommunicado, too. LOL

I hope your employee turns up with a reasonable explanation and this situation ends well for all.

Good point AJ. If she is a "long time" employee & normally reliable, you might want to verify that she is ok.

Good point AJ. If she is a "long time" employee & normally reliable, you might want to verify that she is ok.

Thanks Betty, I had a lawyer colleague that his legal assistant went missing like this.
He called the sheriff, and she had unfortunately been murdered by her no good, bum of a husband.
She was 70 years old, and like you said, very loved, respected, and beyond reproach.
The killer was 60 years old, and strung out on meth.
Just a tragedy all around.

Yikes - that is awful & sad...................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back