No auto insurance ticket in nj?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I got pulled over for not having a current registration. The police officer ran my liscence plate. I then found out that i forgot to make a payment on my insurance as it was 6 months over due. I thought I paid for a year with my first payment. I got a ticket for no insurance and no registration. My car was impounded. The next morning i signed up and paid for auto insurance...got my registration from dmv and got my car out of impound. The day after that i paid for a lawyer to represent me. i told him the police officer was nice and that he said he won't push anything on me. the cop was nice and we actually had a nice conversation. It was an honest mistake. i was never without auto insurance before in my life. I am 34 and have driven since i was 17.. Those anyone know in reality what i'm looking at here?

I suggest you ask your lawyer.
In some cases, doing what you did so quickly, showing the proof, some people get it all dismissed.
Your lawyer knows best, ask him or her.

You were without insurance for six months and can not prove you were insured when cited. That fine can easily be several hundred dollars. You might get lucky and have it reduced for quickly correcting the problem, but don't count on it.

I was wondering about the 1 year suspension...the fines don't worry me

That is where your lawyer comes in and earns his keep.

Tell him to help you by negotiating that penalty away.

A good lawyer can do that, and sometimes more.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what generally happenins to the first time offender of this charge in nj? I really have no idea and don't know where to look for information

Does anyone know what generally happenins to the first time offender of this charge in nj? I really have no idea and don't know where to look for information

It depends on the judge.
Some judges believe in second chances.
Other judges believe in hanging.
Some are in the middle.
Ask your lawyer, he or she knows the players involved.
Your lawyer also knows how law is applied and justice meted out in your county.

Thanks army...I guess I'll just have to wait and see and wear my best khakis and dress shoes in case I do get hanged

For the violations you mention I would expect heft fines. Together they could exceed $1000. I would not expect any negative action on your driver's license.

You really need to talk to your lawyer as suggested previously.

Parroting what everyone else said. A lawyer should be able to get a plea bargain for you, especially since you corrected the issue the next day. If you could get a receipt of your first payment to the insurance company, that may also help to show that you truly thought you had paid for the full year in that payment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back