Nj 39:4-81

Status
Not open for further replies.

sukhmeet

Hi, I am a new to all this. I have got my license first time in US in Dec 2006 just bough my car a month ago. I am 28 yrs old.

Yesterday was an unpleasant day, around 2 pM. I was standing on a signal to turn green so that i can take left, also I was facing traffic which i was suppose to yield as soon as traffic light would have turned green.

I saw one cop car suddenly on left side of the signal (where i was suppose to turn), the cop took U turn and went inside my office complex. In the mean time my light turn green and I yielded on coming traffic and then took left and moved in my office complex, suddenly i saw cop car was behind me, i just kept moving i thought the cop was looking for some one else and not me as i saw cop moving in parking ahead of me. I parked the car and cop came out of the car and asked me " was there any specific reason you didn't pulled over earlier" I said i didn't saw you and i thougt you was looking for some one else.

She asked for license and registration and insurance which i gave it to her ....

she went in her car and came back and gave me ticket with statute 39:4-81.

I asked her politely " maym please cross check it was not me" she said she has video evidence.

I checked on internet statute 39:4-81 says "Failure to observe traffic signal"

I am not sure even i have borken the law.

The ticket doesn't say that i have to come to court but it has court date:

Now i have following question:

1. I am not sure if I am guilty, what shoud i do, as per my best knowledge i have not broken any light and what i was thinking that some one from my right side of crossing must have broken the signal and must have went in my office complex and later when i went she gave me ticket assuming i was the one.

2. what should i do here , can i ask municpal court for discovery, if yes what kind of details will i get.

3. After getting disocvery details and if I am at fault can i plead guilty and pay fine later.

I don't have any clue what to do here......anyone please help this is my first offense of life.

Sukhmeet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back